Philly’s Fairmount Park Conservancy and Philadelphia Parks and Recreation just announced the jam-packed itinerary for the third-annual Love Your Park Week, taking place May 10-17. Besides a host of service projects, like cleanups and other eco-friendly haps, the schedule includes a nice range of activities, including everything from Mother’s Day gatherings to arts and crafts fairs to even an edible bugs dinner.
Find some of Love Your Park‘s highlights below. These are just some highlights, though. To see a full schedule of all 75-plus events, go here. To register and find out more about park cleanups, go here.
Saturday, May 10th
- Pie in the Sky Festival: Food trucks and kite-flying in Penn Treaty Park. Noon to 6 p.m., Penn Treaty Park, 1341 North Delaware Ave.
- Spring Fair in Fitler Square: The 52nd annual Spring Fair comes with flowers, books, raffles, white elephant gift exchanges, and plenty of games for the kids. 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Fitler Square, 400 South Croskey Street.
Sunday, May 11th
- Mother’s Day Tea Ceremony: A traditional Japanese tea ceremony with mom. 1pm. Shofuso Japanese House and Garden, Lansdowne and Horticultural drives.
- Mother's Day Fest: Bring mom and grandma to Franklin Square for a brunch buffet, flower craft activity, and tickets for the Parx Liberty Carousel and Philly Mini Golf. 11 a.m.–1 p.m., $25, Franklin Square, 200 North 6th Street.
- Mother’s Day Boat Tour to Bartram’s Garden. Tours take off noon, 1 p.m., and 2 p.m., Schuylkill Banks, Walnut Street Dock, east side of the Schuylkill River beneath the Walnut Street Bridge.
Monday, May 12th
- Art in the Park: Philadelphia Parks & Recreation proudly presents Art in the Park, a free arts-and-crafts traveling class. 4 p.m.-6 p.m. Malcolm X Memorial Park, 52nd and Pine streets.
Tuesday, May 13th
- A Community Vision for East and West Fairmount Park: PennPraxis and the Penn Project for Civic Engagement will unveil "A Community Vision and Action Plan for East and West Fairmount Park." Join stakeholders for the unveiling and a walking tour. 6 p.m., Smith Memorial Playground & Playhouse in East Fairmount Park.
Wednesday, May 14th
- Kahn Park Summer Concert Series: Join the Friends of Kahn Park for the kickoff event in their Summer Concert Series. They will welcome the band Zydeco-a-Go Go to the park to thrill the crowd. 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m. Louis Kahn Park, 328 S. 11th Street.
- Party in the Playground: Enjoy a playful cocktail reception with hors d’oeuvres from popular food trucks, music, drinks, a silent auction, and the presentation of the 2014 Ida Newman Magic of Play Award to Alex Gilliam, founder of Public Workshop and The Building Heroes. 6 p.m.-8 p.m., Smith Memorial Playground and Playhouse, 3500 Reservoir Drive.
Thursday, May 15th
- PARKx: Have a beer with the Fairmount Park Conservancy and Philadelphia Parks & Recreation, and enjoy a night of thrilling stories and discussions on the Philadelphia park system by park users who have had especially interesting experiences. 8 p.m., Yards Brewery, 901 N. Delaware Ave.
- Jazz in the Park: Hawthorne Park will host the Jazz Bridge for free, featuring live concerts with various jazz performers this spring and summer. 7 p.m.-9 p.m., every third Thursday of the month fromMay to August, Hawthorne Park, 12th and Catharine streets.
Friday, May 16th
- Picnic at Cedar Park: Bring dinner and your favorite snacks to a moon-lit spring picnic in Cedar Park. 6 p.m.–8 p.m., Cedar Park, 4900 Baltimore Ave.
- Edible Bugs Dinner: Come hungry and learn about the delicious and sustainable practice of eating bugs. 6 p.m., $5 (registration required), Wissahickon Environmental Center, 300 Northwestern Avenue.
- Festival de Primavera (Spring Festival): Take in some fresh air at Fairhill Square’s spring celebration. There will be all sorts of games, activities, arts and crafts, and nature exploration for children of all ages. 4 p.m. Fairhill Square, Huntingdon and North Lawrence streets.
Saturday, May 17th
- Party in the Park: Join us for the 2nd-annual party to celebrate LOVE Your Park Week. The event will feature live music, food trucks, games for young and old, raffle prizes, and a beer garden! 4 p.m.–8 p.m., Clark Park, 43rd Street and Baltimore Avenue.
- McPherson Square Park Festival: Come join the Friends of McPherson Park in a fun-filled day featuring games, resource tables, snacks, and music for the whole family. 11 a.m.–3 p.m., McPherson Square Park, 600 E. Clearfield Street.
- Spring Love Your Park Day: Join the Friends of Marconi Plaza for a morning park cleanup followed by pony rides, face painting, pizza, and hot dogs. The American Cancer Society will also hold a Relay for Life event from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Marconi Plaza, Broad Street and Oregon Avenue.
- Swap & Meet: Come join in a clothes swap and flea market. All are also encouraged to donate clothes to Dress for Success, an organization striving to aid disadvantaged women by providing professional wear and career counseling. 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Etting Park, 3200 N. Marston Street.
- Morris Park's 102nd Birthday Bash: Help the neighborhood celebrate the 102nd anniversary of Morris Park joining the Fairmount Park system. There will be a fundraiser for the Friends of Morris Park with lots of fun activities, music, and more. Noon-4 p.m. Morris Park , North 68th St.