If you don’t already know of Ishknits, take a walk over to the sort of creepy sculpture at 16th and Vine. It’s wearing a knit jogging suit. A neon knit jogging suit. My friends over at Ticket alerted me to it, and I’m loving it. But I want more.
UPDATE July 24th: American Apparel is flying pool-barred bikinied barista Lisa Conn to its L.A. headquarters to pick out some free bikinis. For the full update, go here.
Lisa Conn loves to swim. The 30-year-old South Philadelphia barista usually wears a swimsuit under her dress so that she can jump into one of Philadelphia’s public pools at a moment’s notice. But she claims that her American Apparel bikini led to “harassment” by male city employees at two public pools this week, and that she wasn’t allowed to swim at one of those pools as a result of her choice of swimwear. Read more »
Okay, we’ve been flooded with pictures on Facebook of the very strange, very odd, very uncomfortable men’s swimwear trend that looks across between a thong and a boomerang. Yes, this is a thing, and we here at G Philly want to make a clear and resounding message: this bathing suit is not okay. Read more »
It’s never been cooler to forgo the itty-bitty bikini and opt for more full-coverage suits. Sophisticated maillots, retro high-waisted two-pieces, and athletic touches like rashguards and mesh cutouts are all having their moment in the sun. But chic styles still abound for those who still like to bare serious skin. Start at the top and snake your way through our roundup of 16 of the season’s coolest swimwear options. I promise, there’s one for every body type (and wallet)!
- OMG, did Gisele of the perennially perfect Pantene hair actually buzz it all off? [Huffington Post]
- Calling all curvy girls: These seven swimsuit trends look smashing on fuller frames. [Refinery29]
- What if Prada made flour? Louis Vuitton created salami? And Chanel sold baby formula? Here’s what it would look like, and it’s awesome. [Peddy Mergui]
- Step away from the washing machine. Avoid the dryer, too. Here’s a handy guide for extending the life of your swimwear simply by changing your washing practices. [Fab Sugar]
- This might be more ‘art installation’ than wearable fashion. This dress, designed by NYU students, turns transparent every time you tweet, “to broadcast the wearer’s data for anyone and everyone to see.” [Jezebel]
- Halter tops are back, guys! Here are 19 options that are actually sophisticated. [Lucky]
I think we all know the basics of pairing swimwear separates. A solid top with a printed bottom and vice-versa is always a smart move. But it’s wearing mismatched patterns, materials and cuts that gets a little tricky. Make a misstep and it can look like you accidentally grabbed the wrong top.