I’m hesitant to admit this publicly, as wishing away summer is close to a cardinal sin, especially ’round these parts, but I’m — deep breath — ready for fall. It’s not the sunny weather I mind, or the calmer days (even looming deadlines seem less desperate in summer). It’s that this fall’s styles speak to me — ’70s bohemia, tons of texture, heaps of accessories — in a way that tank tops, sandals and sundresses don’t.
Even if you’re desperately trying to cling to the last vestiges of summer (we still have one more month!), I promise you: This fall’s fashion will make the end of summer bearable. The collections have already begun creeping into stores, but it’s easy to be overwhelmed (Victorian! Goth! Hippie!). So I’ve boiled down the trends into the top 10. Think of this as your new-season shopping list. Read more »
Coming down to earth doesn’t need to mean looking boring. | Vanessa Jackman.
- If you’re a loyal Shoppist reader, then you know of my intense hatred for Tory Burch ballet flats. But you can make ballet flats look non-basic. Here’s how. [Man Repeller]
- Turns out, Band-Aids might actually make blisters worse. Instead, use Moleskin bandages, heel liners, gel pads and these tips for a blister-free summer. [InStyle]
- A man create an air-conditioned shirt. Take that, summer. [WTKR]
Up next: Swimsuits that fight saggy boobs and what’s really killing Coach and Ralph Lauren.
Some people have made a living taking selfies (cough, Kim Kardashian). Others have made a living doing far more interesting things (chefs, fashion designers, pro-surfers). For our August issue, we reached out to the latter, and persuaded them to give us their best Kim K. The result? Seventy-five selfies, each an intimate peek at the behind-the-scenes lives of Philly notables.
Some selfies were cute (Congressman Bob Brady with his tiny great-granddaughter); some were sexy (um, did you see the cover?); some were not sexy (the Geator in a Speedo); and some were hilarious (Fergie Carey in fur, lamé and sunglasses I actually think I own, too). Below are pics from Philly’s style and shopping scene; check out the entire roundup — including that Geator Speedo — here.
Read more »
Will dress for likes. | Shutterstock.
We’ve all been there before: You upload a photo of your outfit on Instagram and nervously wait for likes to trickle in, one by one, praying to the social media forces that you break into the double digits. Now, though, you can ensure that those little hearts continue to climb with a new algorithm made for your stylish #OOTD (Outfit Of The Day) snaps.
A new algorithm from the University of Toronto calculates which outfit photo will get the most likes on Instagram. The algorithm — which is explained in the Computer Vision Foundation (CVF) report — analyzes “the type of outfit and garments, the type of user, the setting/scenery of the photograph, and fashionability of the user’s photograph” to maximize a photo’s appeal (which translates into likes). Read more »
- Even if Forever 21 never ages, you do. So what’s it like to shop there in your thirties, when you’re past the point of needing to buy ‘going out’ tops every weekend? The answer: not always pretty. [Huffington Post]
- Printed leggings are my favorite way to amp up my fitness wardrobe. Here are the 10 best, editor-approved pairs out there now, in wild colors and crazy patterns — all guaranteed to wick sweat and stay in place during the toughest workouts. [Rank & Style]
- Career advice: After you’ve laid off a bunch of your team members, maybe don’t head straight to a bar and post gloating Hunger Games hashtagged Instagam pics, like this J.Crew exec did. [Fashion Week Daily]
Next: Check out the first Apple pocket watch.
Swap out a beach weekend for pop-ups by the river. | Shutterstock.
Summer brings with it a host of outdoor fleas, festivals and pop-ups, and it’s also the perfect time to ramble through some of our best shopping towns. Here are seven of the top shopping trips you need to take this summer, from must-visit Shore-town stops and outdoor art markets to the best places to spend a whole shopping day. Consider it your Summer To-Do List, and prepare to make room in your closet. Happy shopping!
Read more »
I don’t know when exactly it took over, or how it became so pervasive so quickly, but at some point we all decided that we would never again pose for a photo without gluing our hand to our hip, elbows out, like a teapot, or a chicken. Read more »