Say hello to sweater weather in a whole new way. | Shutterstock   .
- Hallelujah! Finally, a list of 12 ways to style your fall sweaters like a fashion blogger (that means giving the skinny jeans a rest). Seriously, these tricks are so cute and so easy: over a denim dress or flirty summer sundress, with matchy-matchy colors for a monochromatic look, or under a long trench draped over the shoulders. [PopSugar]
- Looking to maximize your height in any way possible? Look no further than Gigi Hadid’s trick to looking like you have legs for days: Wear heels the same color as your skin tone. Find some cute nude patent leather pumps like Gigi’s and prepare to strut like a supermodel. [WhoWhatWear]
- Kerry Washington’s hairstylist (you know she’s the real deal) explains the proper way to detangle textured hair to avoid breakage. Top tips include using a wide-toothed comb, deep conditioning beforehand, and taking a little advice from Caesar: Divide and conquer. [The Fashion Spot]
Up Next: Cindy Crawford’s beauty secrets and proof that bra sizing is a total mess
Cool as a cucumber. | Images via Shutterstock   .
- Do you have that one friend/celeb girl crush whose sick style always stands out in a crowd? Turns out, it doesn’t take a ton of effort to look like the coolest chick in the room – all you need is a little moxie to follow this simple style rule: Break all the rules. Wear a short skirt when the dress code calls for long; be the sparkly embellished flats in a sea full of black stilettos; leather pants, thigh-highs and a big fur vest are always a good idea. [Marie Claire]
- Get to know the three designers who are doing Native American-inspired goods right (finally, someone). Jessica Metcalfe makes a mean beaded, fringed handbag. Kristen Dorsey’s jewelry designs take “statement piece” to the next level. And finally, meet Bethany Yellowtail, who somehow combined elk teeth and appliqué to make the most gorgeous LBD of all time. No, seriously. [Style.Mic]
Up next: Breast deodorant, a magic brush (really) and leather’s new competition.
I don’t remember what I wore to my first job interview (I shudder to imagine it), but I do recall the outfit I wore to interview for this job: a camel-colored leather pencil skirt, skinny black turtleneck, a vintage black sleeveless dress that buttons all the way up, worn as a longish vest, and oxblood heels. The vintage part wouldn’t have gotten me the gig at, say, Vogue (vintage doesn’t work for an interview there), but it worked here. Turns out, it probably wasn’t the pencil skirt or heels that did it. It was my color choice: Lots of black.
A British t-shirt company surveyed 1,000 people to find out their perceptions of color. The results: 56 percent of participants perceived black to be the color that “most inspires confidence.” Read more »
- Kick the daily what-to-wear dilemma with this simple trick: combine a classic pairing with a wild card (all of which you probably already own) and you’re golden. [PureWow]
- Currently freezing in your cubicle? You’re not alone. According to a new study, most office buildings set the temperature according to an outdated formula centered around the metabolic rates of men. Grrrr. [New York Times]
- Speaking of needless chills, remember the age-old advice that rinsing your hair with cold water makes it shinier? Turns out that’s not totally true, and it might actually be doing damage to your strands. [Into The Gloss]
Next: Sephora’s red lipstick that looks good on <em>everyone</em>.
I’m hesitant to admit this publicly, as wishing away summer is close to a cardinal sin, especially ’round these parts, but I’m — deep breath — ready for fall. It’s not the sunny weather I mind, or the calmer days (even looming deadlines seem less desperate in summer). It’s that this fall’s styles speak to me — ’70s bohemia, tons of texture, heaps of accessories — in a way that tank tops, sandals and sundresses don’t.
Even if you’re desperately trying to cling to the last vestiges of summer (we still have one more month!), I promise you: This fall’s fashion will make the end of summer bearable. The collections have already begun creeping into stores, but it’s easy to be overwhelmed (Victorian! Goth! Hippie!). So I’ve boiled down the trends into the top 10. Think of this as your new-season shopping list. Read more »
Coming down to earth doesn’t need to mean looking boring. | Vanessa Jackman.
- If you’re a loyal Shoppist reader, then you know of my intense hatred for Tory Burch ballet flats. But you can make ballet flats look non-basic. Here’s how. [Man Repeller]
- Turns out, Band-Aids might actually make blisters worse. Instead, use Moleskin bandages, heel liners, gel pads and these tips for a blister-free summer. [InStyle]
- A man create an air-conditioned shirt. Take that, summer. [WTKR]
Up next: Swimsuits that fight saggy boobs and what’s really killing Coach and Ralph Lauren.
Some people have made a living taking selfies (cough, Kim Kardashian). Others have made a living doing far more interesting things (chefs, fashion designers, pro-surfers). For our August issue, we reached out to the latter, and persuaded them to give us their best Kim K. The result? Seventy-five selfies, each an intimate peek at the behind-the-scenes lives of Philly notables.
Some selfies were cute (Congressman Bob Brady with his tiny great-granddaughter); some were sexy (um, did you see the cover?); some were not sexy (the Geator in a Speedo); and some were hilarious (Fergie Carey in fur, lamé and sunglasses I actually think I own, too). Below are pics from Philly’s style and shopping scene; check out the entire roundup — including that Geator Speedo — here.
Read more »