Bring on the pin. | Images via Nordstrom and Modern Kiddo.
A few years ago, I took to wearing a cluster of vintage brooches on everything: sweaters, dresses, t-shirts, clutches. After a while I grew tired of the look — and the pinholes I poked in everything. Now my exceedingly vast brooch collection languishes in a Lucite box in our living room so I can still see my treasures, even if I don’t wear them. (In fact, the only one that gets any play is a tiny vintage rhinestone star brooch which I leave on the pocket of my Madewell chambray button-down, a pinprick of sparkle that differentiates it from the 19 other chambray button-downs you’ll see in the Philly Mag offices on a given day.)
But now the brooch is back in a big way, turning up in unexpected places like the cuff of a pair of jeans or clipped to a belt loop. Yesterday, I stumbled upon photos of the shoes that stomped down Céline’s latest runway show: painfully prim square-toed shoes with a disarmingly long toe-box and a low stacked heel. They were rather nondescript — even a tad ugly— except for the pairs that featured a spangly spray of rhinestones and pearls, huge antique brooches that hung like fringe at the sides of the shoe or that burst with wild abandon from the toe. Read more »
Photo by Tiffany & Co.
A real-life New York gay couple appears in Tiffany’s latest engagement campaign, the first in the company’s history to feature a same-sex couple.
The handsome fellows are sitting cozily on a stoop in The Big Apple in the black-and-white photo. In the corner is the phrase, “Will you promise to never stop completing my sentences or singing off-key, which I’m afraid you do often? And will you let today be the first sentence of one long story that never ever ends?”
Read more »
Which are you ready to try?
Another year, another long list of trends that will sweep through stores. And even if you swear that you don’t care about trends—which, yes, can feel alarmingly fleeting and curiously random—it’s impossible to completely avoid their influence. And this is where it gets tricky: Which are actually worth following? Sure, culottes seem like a good idea, especially when expertly styled in the pages of Vogue and on willowy street-style stars, but what about in real life?
Here’s a handy rundown of seven trends you’ll be seeing everywhere in 2015—all of which are worth adopting, and none of which will ever fade entirely out of style. (Proof: Platforms are back.) Oh, and just for good measure, I’ve also got three that you should probably avoid. Consider this your guidebook to looking fresh this new year.
Read more »
- This morning officially ushered in the season of the tights. Here are 11 pairs that won’t roll down or give you the dreaded Hosiery Muffin-Top. (Cue cheering.) [Fashionista]
- Scary fact: Thieves can easily steal your credit card information just by walking past you with a special scanner. Freaked out? A design team has created a line of purses and wallets that prevents this identity theft. [Styleite]
- The trend I’m digging most for fall: Fringe! Here’s how to do it without veering into Pocahontas territory. [Wall Street Journal]
Next: Blake Lively is rocking the whole maternity thing, and the most popular pair of black work pants ever.
- Joseph Altuzarra’s long-awaited designer collection for Target is a mere 11 days away! Here’s your first look. [Target]
- This is the most exclusive, expensive online shopping club you’ve ever seen. (Wanna join? Good luck. “It’s not for around 90 percent of applicants.”) [Vogue]
Click for the definitive guide to applying false eyelashes, and a look at what NPR hosts wear to work. (It’s not what you think.)
The great length debate.
Last week, I went to a wedding. One of the guests was a politician, there with his wife who looked to be in her mid- to late-forties. Halfway through the ceremony, a friend leaned over and whispered to me:
“He won’t ever be president. Look at his wife. She doesn’t have that First Lady look.”
I rolled my eyes, because talking politics — or anything remotely political — with this particular friend is sort of like running a marathon: You begin not knowing why you ever started, you’re dazed, confused and hating life halfway through, and deliriously exhausted at the end. But I stole a peek at the woman a few pews up, and had to agree: It wasn’t a good look.
Let’s get this out of the way: Unless you’re a celebrity, I don’t really care what you wear. If it makes you feel great, go for it. Still, there are certain sartorial offenses that drive me crazy, and they generally fall into the Too Tight/Too Short category. This was the latter. The woman’s body was incredible; her arms had the Gwyneth Paltrow Ripple, that subtle cut in the arm just beneath the shoulder. (Side note: GOOP got it by doing bizarro dance moves like this.) The non-First Lady also had a flat stomach and Jessica Simpson’s new legs. And she was showing it all off in the world’s shortest dress.
- Juicy Couture is still on track to close all of its stores by the end of the month, but it looks like the brand has some major plans up its sleeve to coincide with new company ownership. [Fashionista]
- Scandal fans, we have the best news ever. This fall, you’ll be able to purchase looks plucked right from the show at The Limited. An odd collab, but it’s promised that fixer Olivia Pope will be donning many of the looks this season. [WWD]
- Change up your classic French manicure with one of these infinitely cooler iterations. [Huffington Post]
Keep reading for more fashion and beauty news.
Images via Instagram.
This might be the most variety we’ve ever crammed into an Instagram roundup, Shoppists. (It was a busy week in Insta-land.) We found everything from Snoop Dogg in a Phillies cardigan (bonus points to who can guess where) to a boutique on wheels to a sparkly rose gold, diamond-encrusted ring. If this doesn’t get your creative juices flowing, we’re not sure what will.
We weren’t kidding about Snoop Dogg—click here for the proof.
Another week, another group of the most stylish Instagrams in Philly. This week we saw everything from bananas on the runway to boho-cool beach inspiration (and it’s kind of amazing). We have a long weekend ahead of us, Shoppists—might as well have some eye-candy to peruse.
Click here for 10 stylish snaps.
For those still in school or just graduating (congrats!), summer means job-hunting. Whether you’re ready for a 9-to-5 career or just looking for a seasonal gig (and a sweet store discount), we’ve got you covered. Here are eight style-centric job openings in town. Time to brush up those resumes!
Your dream job awaits.