In between your Powerballing (sorry you didn’t win), wallowing in sadness over the loss of David Bowie and Severus Snape (insert crying frown face emoji here), and debating the Eagles’s latest hire, here are some of the wildly fascinating, inspiring and just plain helpful stories you might have missed and should probably read right this second. Go!
Those lip balms that look like golf balls have given lots of people scary-looking rashes.
And they also sometimes grow mold! Ew. You’ll probably want to ditch yours for now. We rounded up 10 beauty-editor-approved lip balms that really, really work. [Shoppist]
Our fitness editor dished on her favorite item ever from Lululemon.
And, no, it’s not yoga pants. [Be Well Philly]
The dress Michelle Obama wore to the SOTU sold out before the prez had even finished speaking.
The color of the Narcisco Rodriguez sheath was hotly debated (marigold? mustard?), but that didn’t stop people swarming Neimanmarcus.com to buy it. It sold out completely at its sale price of $628 before the president had finished his address. [NBC News] Here’s what not to buy if you won the Powerball.
Why it’s worth spending more on these. | Shutterstock.
- Shelling out more money for a pair of jeans is actually worth it. Not only does ultra-cheap denim (I’m talking pairs in the $20 to $50 range) tear more easily and gets saggy in the knees, but the synthetic dyes from factories are poured directly into rivers, workers aren’t paid living wages, and buttons and rivets might be toxic. Scary stuff. [Refinery29]
- Pretty soon, you’ll be able to shop on Facebook. The social networking giant is creating mini e-shopping sites within Facebook pages in an attempt to nab a piece of the massive e-commerce revenue pie (which is projected to be around $350 billion this year). The project is still in the testing phase. [Buzzfeed]
- Ease back into the workweek grind with some online shopping. Your first stop should be Nordstrom’s mega anniversary sale, which is in full swing right now. Here are some of the best buys. [InStyle]
Next: The secret to walking confidently in high heels.
Could these harm your health? | Shutterstock.
It’s a cautionary tale for fashion victims around the world: An unidentified 35-year-old woman from Australia spent the day squatting in her skinny jeans and ended up in the hospital. As a result, doctors have now issued a warning about the side effects — namely muscle and nerve damage — from squeezing into the polarizing pant
Read more »
Will dress for likes. | Shutterstock.
We’ve all been there before: You upload a photo of your outfit on Instagram and nervously wait for likes to trickle in, one by one, praying to the social media forces that you break into the double digits. Now, though, you can ensure that those little hearts continue to climb with a new algorithm made for your stylish #OOTD (Outfit Of The Day) snaps.
A new algorithm from the University of Toronto calculates which outfit photo will get the most likes on Instagram. The algorithm — which is explained in the Computer Vision Foundation (CVF) report — analyzes “the type of outfit and garments, the type of user, the setting/scenery of the photograph, and fashionability of the user’s photograph” to maximize a photo’s appeal (which translates into likes). Read more »
- Pre-holiday-shopping PSA: Stay away from these 30 horrible gifts at all costs, especially the smoking mittens. WTF. [Refinery29]
- Drexel students have just launched a Kickstarted campaign to create a new line of eco-friendly yogawear that’s made out of, get this, plastic bottles. And, guys, the pants are really, really cool-looking. [Be Well Philly]
Next: 25 party dresses under $150!
- Beauty PSA: Stop following the smoky eye tutorials on YouTube. Everyone’s eye shape is different, so what looks great on one person can look like a raccoon-eyed mess on you. Here’s how to use an eyeshadow quad to get the most out of your peepers. [Into The Gloss]
- Traveling for Thanksgiving? Steal the style of these 10 girls who have their travel-style game on. (Number 9 is my fave.) [PopSugar]
- J.Crew’s creative director Jenna Lyons wore this to Solange Knowles’s wedding. It is by far the best outfit anyone has ever worn to a wedding in the history of time. [WhoWhatWear]
Up next: 17 winter-perfect dark nail polishes that aren’t black.
- Throw caution to the wind and abandon these fashion rules. (Psst: Time to break out those pre-Labor Day whites, and start mixing up your metals!) [The Zoe Report]
- Got your costume for tonight ready to go, but still lacking in the makeup department? These are the 10 best stores for Halloween makeup. Hurry!
Up next: The haircut every lady in Hollywood is getting.
- Happy belated Cat Day! (Seriously.) Celebrate the feline-centric holiday with 10 pairs of kitten heels you can actually wear comfortably around the city. [Vogue]
- Squeal! Fans of the Olsen duo’s Elizabeth and James and The Row are in for a treat. The pair is debuting a jewelry collection named AMK x SM which is set to debut November 1. See it here.
Up next: How to wear every single piece in your closet. (It’s possible!)
- Prepare to eliminate closet bulk! These are the only 6 sweaters you need to own this fall. [Glamour]
- Tom Ford lipstick devotees are about to get psyched. The brains behind some of the most luxe lipstick in the game (that gorg gold case!) is debuting a new matte formula for the holidays. We’ll take one of the Black Dahlia shade, please. [Refinery29]
Up Next: Guess who uses a $220 toothbrush? (Hint: It’s not that surprising.)
- Here at Shoppist, we’ve already discussed the cutoff age for mini-skirts (conclusion: it’s murky territory), but what other fashion rules are out there as you progress through the decades? Here’s how you dress for every age. [Refinery29]
- This jewelry can charge your phone…with your veins. No, this isn’t an excerpt from a new Saw movie. [The Higher Learning]
Up Next: Beauty tips from the Emirates Airlines flight attendants.