• Raise your hand if you just chugged a cup of foul-tasting (but, hey, it gets the job done) coffee from your office’s rank communal machine. Okay, take note: Tomorrow, before you head to the office, whip up this coffee and avocado (yep, everyone’s two favorite things combined) smoothie, sure to forever improve your mornings. [Well + Good]
• Maybe you slept through your alarm for an early flight and didn’t have time to pack a breakfast before hitting the airport; maybe you’re stuck on a long car ride in the middle of nowhere, where rest stops are the only spots to find sustenance; whatever the case: Fast-food breakfast happens every now and then. Here, a nutritionist’s top picks for when you find yourself in line at a fast-food spot first thing in the morning. [POPSUGAR Fitness]
• We KNOW you’ve seen the #mealprep photos of tupperware container after tupperware container neatly packed with pieces of grilled chicken breast nestled next to steamed vegetables. And if that looks absolutely terrible to you (we’re with you), the good news is — neeeewsflash — grilled chicken is not the only source of protein out there. Here, 25 chicken-less recipes that each boast at least 20 grams of protein per serving. Enjoy! [Greatist]
• Colds are the WORST. And I — a human who will catch a cold from anyone within a three-mile radius who has even an inkling of the sniffles — am all for tricks to end a cold as quickly as possible. (Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t have a job.) And apparently, according to a new meta-anaylsis, zinc lozenges may shorten the life of a seven-day cold by THREE whole days. Costco, here I come. [Men’s Health]
• I feel like I’ve said this a billion times only to have the weather gods turn their backs on me, but here goes: It’s FINALLY warm outside. This means juice bars are probably in your near future, so here’s a question: Is it better to reach for a smoothie or a juice? A dietitian weighs in. [Health] Read more »
• ‘Tis the beginning of everyone’s favorite season: smoothie season. To get your breakfast sip on without spending your mornings figuring out what to throw in the blender — then chopping, then blending — prep individual freezer bags filled with smoothie ingredients on Sunday night. Then, throughout the week, you can just pull one out and pop it in the blender, saving yourself lots of time, and a bit of mental energy (because everything takes more effort before coffee). Easy as a pumpkin pie smoothie, right? [Self] Read more »
While hitting the bars around Philly can make for a great night, it doesn’t usually make for a great morning after, especially when your liver’s personal thank you note comes in the form of a pounding headache and a mouth as dry as the Sahara. Obviously, to prevent this, you probably shouldn’t down an entire pitcher of margaritas this Thirsty Thursday. That said, sometimes it happens. So, to help you recover from the aftermath, we’ve rounded up five Philly juices designed specifically to help you forget about the one or two … or five shots of Fireball you downed the night before. Read more »
March is in full swing, which means McDonald’s is back with its minty, vanilla-y Shamrock Shake that seems to bring all the boys (and girls) to the yard. The hugely popular shake is known for its great flavor, but people tend to forget how unhealthy it drink really is. It packs 530 calories and 15 grams of fat — and that’s just for a small. Yikes. I get that this may be your favorite treat that you only get one mont out of the year, but there are plenty of other shakes and smoothies out there that not only taste great, but won’t cause you to completely derail a week of healthy eating.
Below, five healthy, minty, green alternatives to the Shamrock Shake that you can find around Philly. Read more »
Remember the good ol’ days, back when Whole Foods was Fresh Fields and many of the stores had Jamba Juice counters? At some point, those Jamba Juices disappeared, leaving many of us wondering if we’d ever see Jamba Juice again, but fret no longer: According to the Philadelphia Business Journal, local franchisee Andreana Chryssos is bringing the California-based smoothie chain to the Philly area with a vengeance, with multiple stores set to open this year.