• Fact: We all probably all need to wash our sheets more often. According to experts, we should all be washing them once a week. (Insert the ashamed-monkey emoji here.) But what’s more interesting is probably when we don’t necessarily need to wash them — like after fighting off a cold. Who knew? [Yahoo Health]
Read more »
• A few years ago, my best friend got married in her parents’ living room and I videotaped the entire thing. But it wasn’t really worth videotaping, because all you can hear is loud, sobbing sounds … coming from me. I swear, they were happy sobs, but still, it is not cute. And for years, I have wondered: Why the heck couldn’t I control my tear ducts?!? So I am oh-so-grateful to have that episode explained to me by the lovely folks over at Science of Us. If you, too, are a happy cryer, click through to learn why. [Science of Us] Read more »
• A nap can absolutely help you plow through your day with lots of energy — but you have to do it right. Here, four smart strategies to nap like a pro. [Sleep.org] Read more »
• If you stay up way later than you intend, you can always make up those lost hours tomorrow night … er, right? [Women’s Health] Read more »
Trouble sleeping? You’re not alone. An estimated 60 million Americans suffer from chronic sleeplessness every year. And while reaching for an Ambien might seem like the most sensible option to bring on the shuteye, the folks over at Science of Us have another idea that just might help you get better sleep, sans medication: Stay up later. Read more »
Just a quick redirect here to let you in on this nifty sleep calculator a friend of mine just sent over, with about 55 exclamation points. (She and I are both rather sleep deprived new moms, so the thought of sleeping on our own terms does, in fact, warrant a few !!!. Moving on.) Read more »
Welp, this makes me feel better about my grandma-style bedtime of 9 p.m. sharp: A new study published in the October issue of Sleep suggests that regularly nodding off late at night could be linked to weight gain.
Read more »
• Alarm clock, shmalarm clock. Who needs one when your body is primed with the perfect wake-up tool? Here’s why you always wake up right before your alarm goes off. [Mental Floss] Read more »
• You know when you’re dozing off and suddenly, you find yourself with your eyes wide open, feeling like you just fell off of a cliff? Well, there’s a term for that: It’s called a hypnic jerk or a sleep start and happens to just about everyone. [The Cut] Read more »
Photo courtesy Casper
UPDATE 9/25 at 8:20 a.m.: The Casper folks just shared the exact location of the pods with me. They’ll be posted up at 1950 Sansom Street — parked, I’m assuming, in that parking lot right across from Shake Shack.
ORIGINAL: New York mattress maker Casper is right smack dab in the middle of a seven-city “nap tour,” whereby staffers are rolling into cities up and down the East Coast with mobile “nap pods” and encouraging residents to take midday naps. Next week, Philly’s getting a turn. Read more »