Hard Hat Tour: Jack & Jill

The stairwell of 1903 E. Arizona St. at the second-floor level. | Photos: Sandy Smith

“When are you going to clean up the outside?”

That’s what some East Kensington residents asked Red Oak Development principal Anthony Giacobbe about 2401 Emerald St., the crystal-like townhouse covered in Cor-Ten steel that was featured on Property right after Memorial Day.

Well, Red Oak is at it again, and East Kensingtonians are simply going to have to get used to rust-colored homes on their blocks.

This pair of trim townhouses at 1903-05 E. Arizona St. has been dubbed “Jack & Jill” because of their joined-at-the-hip character. And even though they’re still a little ways from completion, they’re already being marketed by Solo Real Estate, which is also marketing the Emerald Street property. Read more »

Just Listed: A Standout Home in East Kensington for $585K

2401 Emerald St., Philadelphia, Pa. 19125 | Photos: Sandy Smith

Red Oak Development, the people who built the Parish House not far from this place in East Kensington, pride themselves on being a notch or two — or several — above the run-of-the-mill builders throwing up new homes around the city.

They seek to give each home they build personality through the use of local craftsmen, reclaimed materials and original design.

This brand-new townhouse that went on the market today oozes personality out of every pore of its being.

Especially on the outside. “We had neighbors asking when we were going to clean up the outside,” said Red Oak principal Anthony Giacobbe. Read more »

Hard Hat Tour: The Parish House

Made by hand, not beforehand: A Red Oak construction crew member works on the hinge of a custom door made from wood salvaged from the demolition of the parish house's interior. The door will lead from this home's finished basement rec room to the mechanical room. | Photos: Sandy Smith

Craft-brewed building: A Red Oak construction crew member works on the hinge of a custom door made from wood salvaged from the demolition of the parish house’s interior. The door will lead from this home’s finished basement rec room to the mechanical room. | Photos: Sandy Smith

“God is in the details.” —Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

God, then, continues to make his presence felt throughout the building that began life in 1912 as the parish house for the Episcopal Church of Emmanuel and the Good Shepherd in East Kensington, for Red Oak Development, which is converting the building into five three-story townhouses with finished basements, is loading these new homes with fine architectural details — most of them salvaged from the building itself. Read more »