My assistant editor and I chatted about the Oscars fashion this morning over coffee. Our main takeaway from this awards season? One big fat yawn.
There was nothing truly remarkable that stood out at the Oscars. Sure, the massive pink cloud Rihanna wore to the Grammys was divisive, but it was, at the very least, a look. This year, the Oscars were very nude, very tight and very boring. No one really knocked it out of the park, and no one failed tremendously. (Also, where were the rest of the movie stars? Clooney? Jennifer Lawrence? Angelina?) Still, there were some small standouts in an otherwise lackluster field.
See our best and worst here.
Image via abc.go.com
J.K. Simmons, we hate to admit it, but Bradley Cooper one-upped you last night. While you were imploring the Oscar audience to call their moms, local boy Cooper was already sitting right next to his mom, who just happens to be his usual awards-show date.
His mom, local resident Gloria Cooper, looked stunning in a black and teal embellished gown, which she complemented with a smattering of sparkly accessories. Of the baubles, her gorgeous statement earrings were a recent buy from Abington boutique Artware. Yep, that means you can go buy a pair for yourself. Read more »
- Traditionally, the Grammy Awards are a gold mine for weird fashion (think: JT and Britney’s denim-on-denim ensembles), but Joy Villa’s look from last night might reign supreme. [Pop Crush]
- Okay, this Vine star’s striped shaved legs were pretty bizarre, too. [Refinery29]
- Huh? The brains behind Current/Elliott are teaming up with Old Navy as style ambassadors. [WWD]
Up next: The super-easy mascara trick that negates the need for eyeliner.
Image via Splash.
Our sister blog Ticket just alerted us to the travesty that is Bradley Cooper’s most recent red carpet look. Rarely do we make a fuss about red carpet looks over at Shoppist—I mean, everyone is just so boring these days—but for this, we had to make an exception. Bradley, sweet, sweet Bradley, where was Suki Waterhouse to give you a little sartorial direction? Or at least a clean shirt?
Click here for the scoop on this rough look.
Today at Shoppist HQ, we can’t get enough of these children posing as celebrities on the red carpet. The company behind the photos, Toddlewood, works with a team of designers, producers, and hair and makeup artists to create miniaturized versions of lauded looks from recent award shows. The idea sounds a little creepy in theory, but once you see how spot-on these recreations are, you’ll share our glee (or you’ll still think it’s creepy; we don’t know your life). Either way, here are six of our favorite looks from the 2014 Golden Globes (honorable mention goes to this Adele look-a-like from the 2013 Grammys)—cue squeals. If you want more, just wait a few weeks, when Toddlewood will surely recreate looks from the Grammys. (We can already see this look getting the tot treatment.) So you decide: cute or creepy?
Mini Jennifer Lawrence and Tina Fey, coming right up!
- Welcome to another (cold) Monday, Shoppists! Did you catch the Grammys last night? It was a
boring relatively tame affair, with nary a giant egg, papal date or Terminator sleeve in sight. Is the music industry going soft? Here’s your roundup of the best looks (Taylor Swift, Rita Ora) and the worst (Katy Perry’s craft project, Pharrell’s hat). [People]
- Speaking of Pharrell’s hat, it’s now become a meme and it has its own Twitter account, because the world has too much time on its hands. [New York Daily News]
Okay, let’s move on from the Grammys now.
- This year was full of memorable fashion moments: Kim Kardashian wore sofa upholstery, Miley Cyrus wore Biggie and Tupac on her bum, and Gwyneth Paltrow wore no underwear. Long live red-carpet fashion! [The Cut]
Nutcracker costumes ahead!