Ex-FBI Director Will Probe NFL’s Handling of Ray Rice

Just hours after the AP reported a police source had previously sent the NFL a tape of Ray Rice knocking his future wife unconscious with a punch, the NFL announced former FBI director Robert Mueller will investigate what the NFL knew about the incident.

Rice was originally suspended two games for the February assault of Janay Palmer, now Janay Rice, at Revel in Atlantic City. There was an outcry over the short suspension — Wes Welker got a suspension twice as long for taking amphetamines at the Kentucky Derby — but it appeared the event had blown over for the NFL (and for Rice, who had his charges dismissed as part of pre-trial intervention).

But earlier this week TMZ released a graphic video of Rice punching his now-wife Janay, and the NFL finally acted more strongly: The Ravens cut Rice, and the NFL suspended him indefinitely. The NFL claimed it had not seen the video, but a law enforcement source played for the Associated Press an April 9th voicemail that confirmed the receipt of the Ray Rice tape. “You’re right. It’s terrible,” the caller in the voicemail said.

Read more »

Wait, People Are Still Victim Blaming Janay Rice?

Janay Rice, left, looks on as her husband, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, speaks to the media during a news conference in Owings Mills, Md. on May 23rd, 2014.

Janay Rice, left, looks on as her husband, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, speaks to the media during a news conference in Owings Mills, Md. on May 23rd, 2014.

In case you missed it, Janay Rice has already apologized.

At a May news conference, she sat next to her husband and said she regretted “the role that she played in that night” – that night being the one during which she was attacked in an elevator by a professional football player, knocked unconscious, and dragged away.

It was awkward then, when the simple assault charges against her had already been dropped and we only strongly suspected what the first half of that Revel Casino surveillance tape showed. Now that we know – now that we have seen what happened before Ray Rice dragged his then-fiancée’s body out of an elevator – do we really want her to explain herself again?

Read more »

TMZ Releases New Video of Ray Rice Knocking Out Fiancée in Atlantic City

[UPDATE: 2:54 p.m.] SB Nation reports that Ray Rice is no longer a member of the Baltimore Ravens, following furor over leaked video of Rice punching his then-fiancee:

The Baltimore Ravens have released running back Ray Rice, the team announced on Monday afternoon. The release comes following a video of him striking his then-fiancee Janay Palmer and knocking her unconscious leaked Monday through TMZ.

[ORIGINAL: 7:59 a.m.] Warning: This is brutal.

Read more »

A Philly Cop Weighs in on the Ray Rice Video

One of our favorite Philly cops is Detective Joe Murray, one of the bright shining gems of the Philly Twittersphere. He’s weighing in this morning on the release of the Ray Rice video, showing definitively — and brutally — how he knocked out his fiancee at the Revel last February with a vicious punch.

Here’s the detective on why the video is such a sensation — we all knew this had happened, right? — and what it means:

Read more »

Update: Marino Withdrawing from NFL Concussion Lawsuit

Update: The South Florida Sun Sentinel is reporting Dan Marino is acting to withdraw his suit against the NFL:

“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error,” a source said to the Sun-Sentinel.

Earlier:

Football Hall of Famer Dan Marino has joined the federal lawsuit against the NFL filed in Philadelphia. The Dolphins quarterback, a Pittsburgh native who starred in college for Pitt, is one of 41 Hall of Famers (or their estates) among the 5,000 former players suing the league over concussions.

The NFL and the players reached a settlement, but U.S. District Judge Anita Brody rejected the settlement. She wrote there wasn’t enough evidence the $765 million settlement would cover all the medical costs.

Read more »

« Older Posts