Last Thursday, we kicked off our new Shoppist After Hours series, a semi-secret, underground shopping event that will pop up every so often at Philly’s best boutiques. We started off celebrating the guys at Ps & Qs on South Street. They dished out huge sales on new merch, Hennessy was there pouring its latest limited-edition collaboration with Shepard Fairey, and style whisperer Sabir Peele talked men’s trends for fall (Hawaiian prints, the “shacket,” backpacks and joggers).
It’s almost here! Our new shopping series, Shoppist After Hours, kicks off on Thursday at Ps & Qs—and you don’t want to miss out on this.
Here’s what’s going down: Attendees will get 30 percent off all apparel and footwear at the shop (this is huge, guys, as merch at the store hardly ever gets marked down that steeply). Hennessy will be there pouring its special-edition Shepard Fairey cognac, and Sabir Peele of Men’s Style Pro will hosting a talk about men’s trends and how to wear them.
After an onslaught of summer sales at women’s boutiques, we were starting to think the guys might just have to go sale-less this summer. Then Armour owner David Grimes tipped us off to a major end-of-summer sale starting at Armour today. It’s discounts galore at the menswear boutique and you don’t want to miss it.
Dress codes for guys can be tough, especially in summer. I convened with some of the most stylish guys on our staff to give you the do’s and don’ts for Best of Philly dressing. Keep these seven rules in mind, check out the shopping inspiration above, and be sure to snag tickets to the August 12th event now! You can buy them here. (Oh, and girls, I’ve got your rundown right over here!)
1. No jeans. They just won’t work here.
2. But leave the tux at home. This is a summer cocktail party, not a black-tie affair.
3. No sneakers. Even if they’re crazy-expensive designer kicks, it’s best to leave ‘em at home.
4. Break out a suit. But don’t feel constrained to a dark charcoal wool one. Now’s the time to break out a lightweight summer option—think linen, seersucker or a suit in a light grey or tan.
As the shopping editor here, it’s my job to shop all over the city and ‘burbs. Now I’m going to let you guys in on all my shopping secrets. Welcome to Shoppist After Hours, our new brand-new event series that’ll take you to Philly’s best shopping haunts, and give you exclusive access to amazing one-night-only deals.
Keep following Shoppist for details on when and where we’re popping up. It’s worth it: We’ll be hand-picking our favorite local shops (men’s, women’s, accessories, you name it!) and inviting you to shop after-hours (because who can really make it out shopping before 5pm?), score one-night-only discounts, enjoy complimentary drinks, and meet some of Philly’s coolest style-setters and all-around nice people.
- We’re in the thick of summer wedding season, which means it’s the perfect time to watch this 8-second GIF that shows how to fold a pocket square. [Huffington Post]
- Forget Pea in the Pod: a heavily pregnant model walked in the Chanel Haute Couture show. Can you say Chanel maternity-wear? [Style.com]
- A Japanese retailer is experimenting with virtual dressing rooms. Stand in front of a screen, select what clothes you want to try on, and see yourself dressed in it in seconds. Mind. Blown. [Business of Fashion]
Name: Samuel Powell
Day Job: Manager at Parc
Where We Found Him: On his way to fill in the host team about the amount of reservations for outside seating during a busy Sunday brunch.
Where He Shops: “When I’m looking for a good pair of shoes, I hit Sansom Street between 16th and 15th, locally owned stores from guys who know footwear.”
My Beard: “It’s at three months and I shape it myself. Ungarische Bartwichse by Marke & Golddachs is the beard wax I use. [Editor's Note: Salvador Dali also used it!] I go to a barber shop in Roxborough to do my hair. It’s called The Men’s Club. They are a couple of younger guys who can cut hair in a really classic way. I use Crew products to style my hair.”
For this week’s installment of Conversations of Style, Shoppist sat down with style blogger and Philly’s sweetest fashionisto to talk about fashion pet peeves, where he shops, what he’s buying, and his biggest fashion splurge to date. See more at Boy Gone Blog. Bring on the pocket squares!