Robert J. Mongeluzzi (left) and Tom Kline, lawyers for victims of the derailment of Amtrak 188, speak at a press conference today. (Photo | Dan McQuade)
Lawyers for 29 victims of last year’s derailment of Amtrak 188 say Brandon Bostian‘s statements, released today by the National Transportation Safety Board, are an insult to the victims.
“He had absolutely no recollection whatsoever of the events [right after the crash],” Robert Mongeluzzi told reporters today at a press conference. “Now, after months pass after the accident he now has a sudden memory. That, for the victims, is going to be a bitter pill to swallow.”
Mongeluzzi and Tom Kline, who both represent victims in a lawsuit against Amtrak over the crash last year, gave a press conference about an hour after the NTSB released its findings. They zeroed in on Bostian’s statements; one was taken just days after the crash in May, while another was on November of last year.
“Unfortunately, the last memory I have on the way back is approaching and passing the platforms in North Philadelphia,” Bostian said in May. “I remember turning on the bell, and the next thing that I remember is when I came to my senses I was standing up in the locomotive cab after the accident.” Read more »
Leonard “Hub” Hubbard — second from left — and other members of the Roots in happier times. (AP Photo)
Leonard “Hub” Hubbard joined The Roots in 1992, back when the Roots were just a really good local band and long before Questlove and friends showed up on America’s television screens five nights a week with Jimmy Fallon. But Hubbard left the group in 2007 after a cancer diagnosis, and now he is taking Questlove and others to court. Read more »
District Attorney Seth Williams today responded to a Daily News report that his office had settled a racial discrimination lawsuit with a former employee, taking to the paper’s letters-to-the-editor page to assert: “I am proud of my record, my decisions and the way I have run the District Attorney’s Office.”
The paper reported Tuesday that the suit was brought by MK Feeney, a white female homicide prosecutor who says she was fired in 2011, accused of being “untruthful” in the aftermath of a Daily News cover story about turmoil in the the prosecutor’s office. Her suit said that a fellow homicide prosecutor — a black man, and a member of the same fraternity as Williams — later confessed to leaking the info, but was not fired. The city settled the complaint for $190,000, and Williams admitted no wrongdoing.
“In the (Daily News) story, the reporter failed to mention two things,” Williams wrote today. “First, that he was the reporter who received the leaked information in 2011 from the individual profiled and failed to disclose that in his article. Second, that the individual who was not fired was treated differently because he was honest, remorseful and admitted that he conspired with the profiled employee to improperly share expungement information that could harm another assistant district attorney.”
Read more »
White Dog in Wayne
The White Dog Cafe always seemed like one of the more progressive restaurants in the Philadelphia area. Its founder, Judy Wicks, built a reputation around sustainability, responsible business practices, and, according to her web site, “the importance of feminine energy in building a new more compassionate economy.” But Wicks sold the restaurant to Marty Grims in 2009. And allegations that have surfaced in a new federal lawsuit make the Wayne location of the restaurant sound more like a men’s locker room. Read more »
Left: British Parliament member Nadhim Zahawi in official British government photo. Right: One of the Warhol paintings in question.
UPDATE 2/22/2016: British Parliament member Nadhim Zahawi has withdrawn his lawsuit against Philadelphia gallery owner Nathan “Nicky” Isen.
The transactions of prominent Philadelphia gallery owner Nathan “Nicky” Isen have long been the subject of speculation and controversy, as detailed by Philadelphia magazine’s Steve Volk in this August 2015 feature. Last year, Isen was sentenced to community service and probation in federal court after pleading guilty to money laundering, and now he has raised the ire of a prominent British politician, who is suing Isen for fraud. Read more »
Francine Ramos, a mother of three, was killed with ammunition purchased at an Easton Walmart.
Francine Ramos, Trevor Gray and Edward Ketrow were all gunned down and killed last July 5th, allegedly by three men on a random shooting spree in Easton and Allentown, Pennsylvania. And now the families of those three victims have filed a wrongful death suit against retail behemoth Walmart, claiming that the store and its employees were wrong to sell ammunition to an underage and intoxicated suspect. Read more »
Joe Ravi / Shutterstock.com
A former employee of Amazon’s Lehigh County distribution center is suing the company, saying she was fired because the company wouldn’t accommodate her pregnancy.
Cathleen Stewart filed the suit last month in the federal court at Philadelphia. She says she told her supervisor in February 2011 that she was pregnant — but was still given a verbal warning for time spent “off-task” while she experienced nausea and required frequent bathroom trips. Read more »
A family that says hazing caused their son to take his own life is suing Penn State Altoona and the now-suspended fraternity they claim is responsible.
Marquise Braham was 18 when he killed himself in March 2014 — the result, his family says in the new lawsuit, of a punishing cycle of hazing at the hands of the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity. Read more »
Actor/comedian/educator/philanthropist Bill Cosby, his reputation in tatters due to repeated allegations of sexual assault, has taken a step to try to repair that reputation today.
In response to a defamation suit initially filed by Tamara Green and joined by six more of the women who have accused him of sexual assault, Cosby has filed a countersuit (below) seeking a retraction of their statements along with the maximum compensatory and punitive damages allowed by law. Read more »
Coach Cecil Mosenson (far left) and Wilt Chamberlain (far right) in 1953 Overbrook High School basketball team photo.
Back in the early 1950s, Wilt Chamberlain was just beginning his meteoric rise to fame, starting out as a varsity basketball player for West Philadelphia’s Overbrook High School. And right there with him was the school’s basketball coach, Cecil Mosenson, who would later pen the 2008 book It All Began with Wilt. Now 85 years old, Mosenson, who still lives in Philadelphia, is suing two Los Angeles-based video companies over a documentary he directed about those early days. Read more »