We here at Philadelphia magazine are always interested in the trappings of John Bolaris, the Weather Savior. Whether he’s offering a weather concierge service, feuding with Angelo Cataldi or getting rid of High Pressure Harry, John Bolaris has had quite the 2015 so far.
Would you like to be in contact with John Bolaris all the time? You are in luck. The Philadelphia weatherman is now offering a “weather concierge” service.
For the low, low price of $500 a month, Bolaris will be in contact with you via “phone, email and text” seven days a week at the times you designate. No days off all summer! Never accuse this guy of not working hard: If you pay him that $500 a month — or $1500 for the whole summer, May 15th to September 15th — he will literally talk with you every day if you so wish. Read more »
Yet again, Philadelphia is bracing for a snowstorm that might or might not happen. Everyone seems to agree that snow is coming. But how much will fall? And how will it affect your Tuesday? Here, some answers. Read more »
On Tuesday morning, in the wake of the Great 2015 Blizzard of Philadelphia That Didn’t Happen, there was a lot of blame going around, including on 94-WIP, where host Angelo Cataldi was ranting and raving about all of the blown forecasts, which led to Mayor Michael Nutter unnecessarily canceling school, all city offices being unnecessarily closed, your trash not being picked up today — the list of inconveniences goes on, and on, and on. Read more »
In the interview, Bolaris told us that he had fired another meteorologist at WeatherSavior, because that unnamed person dropped the ball by sending out an inaccurate forecast early on Sunday morning. Bolaris claimed that the meteorologist “phoned it in” by writing the report the night before instead of checking the data in the morning.
Well, now that meteorologist — Harry Holmes (seen here) — has revealed himself, and he’s not very happy with Bolaris, with whom he’s worked for more than two decades. Read more »
[UPDATE, 9 p.m., 1/21] Harry Holmes, who says he’s the man John Bolaris claims to have “fired,” has responded.
[ORIGINAL] John Bolaris always gives good conversation. So we thought we’d call the longtime meteorologist up to have one about Sunday’s deadly ice storm. True to form, Bolaris, now at WeatherSavior.com, had plenty to say.
What the heck happened on Sunday?
I really do blame it on the overall meteorologists on this one. At the beginning of last week, Sunday looked like a very mild 50-degree day.
But then the computer model started changing on Wednesday. And yet on Friday, the day when I wrote that Sunday was going to be colder than expected — I said there could be a cold rain — the local news stations were still calling for this mild weather. I was taken aback.
And then, what I feel horrible about, this flash freeze that took place in the city wasn’t in any forecast. But it was a concern and should have been addressed much more during the week.
The Story That Won’t Go Away
VICTOR: Stu, what were your first gossip items about John?
JOHN: I lied about my age. But I had a reason to. It was only two years. Stu always used to get on me in the papers, trying to find out my real age. When I first started in this business, my mentor told me to subtract two years. He told me that this business is all about age. But why didn’t he say to minus five?
STU: You could get away with two.
STU: John, have you dealt with Victor before?
JOHN: Oh yes I have.
Read more »
Meteorologist John Bolaris splits his time these days between Philadelphia and Montauk, New York, running his new company, WeatherSavior.com. And it is this latter city that is the setting for the latest chapter in the John Bolaris saga. And this particular chapter ends with a cab driver allegedly using a stun gun on Bolaris. Read more »
On Tuesday, we told you that “celebrity boxing” promoter Damon Feldman was organizing a fight featuring John Bolaris, now of WeatherSavior.com. The opponent was, Feldman claimed, as yet undetermined: He was soliciting challengers via email.
Well, Feldman says the whole thing has been cancelled and that they had settled on Michael Lohan, yes the man responsible for half of the genetic makeup of Disney star-turned-train wreck Lindsay Lohan. And Feldman is blaming Bolaris for the cancellation.
Here is an (unedited) email that Feldman sent around on Thursday night:
Hi I just want to thank you for your coverage on John Bolaris I wasted 2 weeks on putting this together, I have advanced money here to hold venue opponent and more and after picking the venue Marple sports arena for sept 20 , the charity and the Opponent was going to be Michael Lohan who we where going to announce Monday, John said was the only person he would take on and Michael agreed John has pulled out leaving me and my company hanging and in a tough situation as I have put out cash n made promises to people and now John is saying all these different stories why he won’t do it and the Backlash he received , your when he accepted and told me who he wanted to do the celebrity boxing match with. I am very pissed off here but I do want to thank you for helping with this this is very unprofessional what he did and used me for publicity and knew and now pulled out so now I will see him in court this is just disgraceful , thank you Sincerely Damon Feldman
Bolaris broke up with Feldman via text message. “He didn’t even have the balls to call me,” says Feldman. “That just shows you what kind of a guy he is. He punked out of this fight.”
“He’s been asking me to fight for a long time,” responds Bolaris. “And I finally agreed to do it for charity. But then, there was a lot of negative feedback from my friends. They said, ‘You don’t need to do this. You want to be like Octomom and Tanmom?’ But I never signed an agreement.”
Bolaris went on WMMR’s Preston & Steve show this week to discuss the prospect. “Are you friggin’ out of your mind?” they asked.
“I’m trying to rebuild my career,” says Bolaris. “I thought this would be fun. But then I realized it was just the wrong move for me.”
And we agree with that assessment.
Great news out of the celebrity boxing front: John Bolaris is stepping back into the ring! Eighteen years after stepping into the ring for a celebrity match against Q102’s Diego Ramos, Bolaris is planning to lace up the gloves again.
The fight, if it happens, will be promoted by Damon Feldman. The former boxer — he had a 9-0 record as a middleweight in fights held mostly at the Blue Horizon — made his mark in celebrity boxing with that first Bolaris-Ramos fight. Ramos won that in a split decision, because it’s boxing and even celebrity matches have to be controversial.