As the investigation continues into Tuesday’s deadly derailment of Amtrak 188 in Philadelphia, both President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden have issued statements about the Amtrak crash. Read more »
Hunter Biden, son of Vice President Joe, was discharged from the Navy earlier this year after failing a drug test for cocaine. Hunter Biden, a lawyer, was in a part-time position as an ensign in the Naval Reserves.
Biden actually came to the military incredibly late in life; he needed a waiver to be able to join the Navy because of his age (43) when he joined. He received a second waiver for an earlier drug-related incident; the Wall Street Journal reports these are relatively common. He was discharged in February of this year after his drug test came up positive.
The Anti-Defamation League is criticizing Vice President Joe Biden for using the word “Shylocks” in a speech in Delaware. The portrayal of the character Shylock in Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice is considered antisemitic by many, and so using the word to mean a shady lawyer is generally best avoided.
Biden used “Shylocks” in a speech given at a celebration for the 40th anniversary of the Legal Services Corporation, which provides civil legal assistance to those who can’t afford it. Per Politico, Biden spoke about his son Beau’s experience while in Iraq.
“People would come up to him and talk about what was happening to them at home in terms of foreclosures, in terms of bad loans that were being — I mean, these Shylocks who took advantage of these women and men while overseas,” Biden said.
Vice President Joe Biden will be in Philadelphia Friday for the annual “Celebration of Freedom,” part of the Welcome America celebration.
This year’s ceremony, which takes place in front of Independence Hall, will additionally commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act and the 60th anniversary of the Supreme Court’s decision in Brown v. Board of Education. He’ll appear with Mayor Michael Nutter and other local luminaries.
Vice President Joe Biden will be in Philadelphia to celebrate Independence Day — but, unfortunately, he won’t be on the parkway shaking his booty to Nicki Minaj and The Roots.
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) April 17, 2014
Obviously, this elicited a number of reactions, such as:
- PennLive.com: “But is it presidential?”
- Jezebel: “Joe Biden Posts the Best Selfie of All Time with Barack Obama
- TIME: “Joe Biden’s First Selfie Is Just Awesome“
- Times of London: “Is this the selfie to end all selfies? The craze appeared to reach its nadir today when Barack Obama and Joe Biden released an image of themselves in the back of a US presidential limo.”
According to the guy selling this Cadillac STS on Delaware Craigslist for $15,000, the car was leased by now-Vice President Joe Biden from 2005 to 2008. Owner Jeff Finkle told Delaware Online that he first realized who the previous driver was when he discovered the names Beau, Hunter and Jill (aka Biden’s family) programmed into the Bluetooth.
Biden was not immediately available for comment. (Yeah, we called.)
One of the first gay marriages took place in Muskegon Co.
SEQUENCE OF EVENTS IN MICHIGAN
- Federal judge strikes down Michigan ban on same-sex marriage!
- (Reagan picked judge who threw out Michigan’s ban on same-sex marriage.)
- Michigan AG calls for immediate freeze on ruling striking down Michigan’s ban on same-sex marriage.
- But before that decision’s made, Michigan counties begin issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
- Michigan’s first gay marriage takes place.
- Here’s video of that and some of the other Michigan gay marriages.
- The Federal Court decided to suspend gay marriages in Michigan, at least until an appeals court makes decision Wednesday.
- They better hurry up. In that short time, more than 300 same-sex marriage licenses were issued.
- We’ve got our fingers crossed.
MORNING TEA: Bruce Jenner Quits the Kardashians, Joe Biden to Be First Guest on Seth Meyers’ Late Night and More
Every morning I round up the gossip-y headlines you may have missed overnight.
- Alexander Skarsgård cast as lead in 3-D Tarzan movie
- Jack Ass‘s Steve O fake seizure pisses off L.A. fire department
- Jerry Seinfeld: “The LEGO Movie stole one of my Superman jokes”
- Jennifer Aniston goes back to the bob
- Miss Piggy in Vivienne Westwood, darling
- Bruce Jenner quits Kardashian show, done with Hollywood
- Despite new sexual assault charges, Bill Cosby TV show continues to more forward