- Happy Friday, Shoppists! This week, Joe Biden joined Instagram with a surprisingly stylish first pic. Will the veep be the latest street style star? [Instagram]
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) April 17, 2014
Obviously, this elicited a number of reactions, such as:
- PennLive.com: “But is it presidential?”
- Jezebel: “Joe Biden Posts the Best Selfie of All Time with Barack Obama
- TIME: “Joe Biden’s First Selfie Is Just Awesome“
- Times of London: “Is this the selfie to end all selfies? The craze appeared to reach its nadir today when Barack Obama and Joe Biden released an image of themselves in the back of a US presidential limo.”
According to the guy selling this Cadillac STS on Delaware Craigslist for $15,000, the car was leased by now-Vice President Joe Biden from 2005 to 2008. Owner Jeff Finkle told Delaware Online that he first realized who the previous driver was when he discovered the names Beau, Hunter and Jill (aka Biden’s family) programmed into the Bluetooth.
Biden was not immediately available for comment. (Yeah, we called.)
One of the first gay marriages took place in Muskegon Co.
SEQUENCE OF EVENTS IN MICHIGAN
- Federal judge strikes down Michigan ban on same-sex marriage!
- (Reagan picked judge who threw out Michigan’s ban on same-sex marriage.)
- Michigan AG calls for immediate freeze on ruling striking down Michigan’s ban on same-sex marriage.
- But before that decision’s made, Michigan counties begin issuing same-sex marriage licenses.
- Michigan’s first gay marriage takes place.
- Here’s video of that and some of the other Michigan gay marriages.
- The Federal Court decided to suspend gay marriages in Michigan, at least until an appeals court makes decision Wednesday.
- They better hurry up. In that short time, more than 300 same-sex marriage licenses were issued.
- We’ve got our fingers crossed.
MORNING TEA: Bruce Jenner Quits the Kardashians, Joe Biden to Be First Guest on Seth Meyers’ Late Night and More
Every morning I round up the gossip-y headlines you may have missed overnight.
- Alexander Skarsgård cast as lead in 3-D Tarzan movie
- Jack Ass‘s Steve O fake seizure pisses off L.A. fire department
- Jerry Seinfeld: “The LEGO Movie stole one of my Superman jokes”
- Jennifer Aniston goes back to the bob
- Miss Piggy in Vivienne Westwood, darling
- Bruce Jenner quits Kardashian show, done with Hollywood
- Despite new sexual assault charges, Bill Cosby TV show continues to more forward
Dear Vice President Biden,
Is it OK if we call you Joe? God love ya, we feel like we know you with the Pennsylvania connection and all. Really sorry we missed you at 30th Street yesterday. We know how you feel about trains, though, so we thought this humongous estate in Bryn Mawr might pique your interest. It was built for the president of the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1896. We think it’s perfect for you.
Joe Biden has decided to betray every principle the Onion version of him stands for:
Just weeks after President Barack Obama told the New Yorker that the drug is no more dangerous than alcohol, Biden said the Administration supports smarter enforcement, but not outright legalization. “I think the idea of focusing significant resources on interdicting or convicting people for smoking marijuana is a waste of our resources,” Biden told TIME in an interview aboard an Amtrak train on the way to an event in Philadelphia. “That’s different than [legalization]. Our policy for our Administration is still not legalization, and that is [and] continues to be our policy.”
If enforcing the law is a bad idea, why have the law? [TIME]
Joe Biden is visiting Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station today, and Delaware’s favorite son showed up to sit in Amtrak’s new locomotive.
Veep Joe Biden sits in the front of Amtrak's new locomotive at 30th Street Station in Philly. Story upcoming. pic.twitter.com/Vb9xviCleH
— Kathy Matheson (@kmatheson) February 6, 2014
Fightin’ Joe Biden’s Internet-bestowed nickname may be wearing off on his family members, most recently the vice president’s niece, Caroline Biden.
Seems Caroline had a bit of trouble with her roommate this morning, with the fight escalating (devolving?) into a situation that required police presence. And then, well, all hell broke loose:
Caroline Biden was allegedly arguing with a roommate in her Tribeca apartment Tuesday morning, and when police responded, she resisted arrest and tried to take a swing at the officer, according to police.
Police will also charge the young lady Biden with harassment and obstructing governmental administration. She is expected to be arraigned today.
Somewhere, meanwhile, Joe Biden is shedding a manly, Delawarian tear of joy. Kids, after all, grow up so fast. [NBC]
Beau Biden, Delaware AG, has a mass in his brain according to doctors at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He is being held for observation tonight to determine if it’s cancerous. For more on Biden, who took a detour last week through Jefferson University hospital after first experiencing symptoms, see our piece from yesterday. Biden suffered a mild stroke in 2010; his father, VP Joe Biden suffered a serious aneurysm in 1988. [NBC News]