Sometimes, fading is good. Take old band tees, for instance. The more worn and faded they are, the better. But not all things look best with a lived-in look. Exhibit A: Your black jeans. These look best when they’re fresh off the hanger, inky black and just soft enough.
But wear and tear inevitably leads to the graying of even the most jet-black jeans. Lucky for you, the jean experts over at Madewell offered five easy tips for maintaining your dark denim. (And clean freaks, don’t worry. They didn’t recommend never washing them.) Read more »
Inspiration! | Images via Honestly WTF, Catbird NYC.
For a very long time, everyone talked about the great arm stack: piles of clanking bangles, all shapes and sizes, lined up on wrists like a kid’s colorful ring-stacking toy. By now, we’ve all mastered this, and every woman I know wears some sort of bracelet stack (though most I’ve seen lack the thoughtful mix of a set curated over decades; a matching — or artfully mismatching — set from H&M or J.Crew does not a stack make).
In any case, with bare wrists making a comeback (even the Man Repeller herself—coiner of the now-tired term “arm party”—has left her wrists naked of late!), we now have a new appendage that we must make a living jewelry display of: Enter the Ring Stack.
Pics and inspiration ahead!
The right way to buy winter’s most fun accessory. | Shutterstock.
A few years ago, I found my perfect pair of gloves: gold Nappa leather with tiny red suede ovals on the fingers, sort of like a built-in manicure. I needed them—only problem was, I wasn’t exactly sure of my size. I guesstimated (my hands are pretty small), and when the pair arrived, they were just a tad too tight. I kept them, of course, although I need to remove all of my rings before putting them on.
How this could’ve been avoided: this handy measuring tip from one of my favorite gift boutiques in the city, Scarlett Alley (241 Race Street). Just measure the circumference of your hand around the knuckles, not counting the thumb. Got that number?
Click for your size!
- Everyone knows the basics of a solid at-home mani: base coat, two layers of polish and a top coat. But what bumps it up to the professional level? Here are the tips you need to know. (Seriously, even using the right side of the brush matters.) [Glamour]
- We’re about to make your Thursday. Vinotherapy (read: bathing in red wine) is officially a thing. But we’ve got to be honest: the results aren’t pretty. [The Cut]
- Reminder: Your stiletto is a weapon. Wear them with caution. [Jezebel]
Up Next: Victoria Secret to debut two spangly new bras.
- The bad news: There’s no way to predict whether a sweater will pill—it happens to even the most expensive knits. The good news: There’s a whole science to sweater pilling, and great advice for getting rid of it. First things first? Don’t pull on them, leave the sweater razors alone, and grab a … pumice stone? [Wall Street Journal]
- Did you know Sears has a drive-through service? You schedule a return or exchange online, and then alert the store via a mobile app when you’ve parked. Then a timer begins: Sears employees have five minutes (assistance within five minutes is guaranteed!) to run out to your car and help you. [Racked]
Click here for the grossest earrings ever. (But prepare yourselves.)
We’re loving these easy hairstyles to try out this fall | Images via Salon Vanity
I like to think I have a pretty good eye for determining what’s attainable with my minimal hairstyling skill level (milkmaid braids, yes; faux-bobs, heck no), but no amount of hair intuition can replace step-by-step directions. Even better if these directions come from a total hair master. Enter: Edmondo Blando, owner of Salon Vanity at 1701 Walnut Street. He gave us the low-down on how to create some of his most-requested styles—and guys, they actually seem do-able, even easy. Grasshoppers, time to learn from the master.
Hairstyle how-tos ahead.
- Turns out, you really don’t need to reapply your foundation twice a day (am I the only one?). Here’s how to get your foundation to last all day long—with GIFs! No reapplication needed. [The Cut]
- In a few short weeks, everyone will be donning their jeans again. Two denim aficionadas are sharing their denim forecast and there are some surprises in store. [Vanity Fair]
- Who says you need to wait until January 1 to start making resolutions? The lovely ladies over BLDG 25 disclosed their fall beauty resolutions. (Watch out for lots of crimson and plum!) [Free People]
Keep reading to find out the real side effects from your favorite beauty treatments.
Those cute crop tops aren’t what you think.
See those crop tops up there? Cute, right? And how fantastic do they looked paired with a full midi-skirt? It’s a look that’s more put-together than shorts and a tank, and more unexpected than summer’s ubiquitous maxi dress. It’s my summer uniform — I throw on a light silk jacket and heels for work, and a pair of simple sandals for the weekend. But it’s not exactly what it seems …
As soon as I sense any sort of heat or humidity — like the exact kind you’ll find outside right now — my immediate go-to has always been the same mundane ponytail, plagued by fly-aways and devoid of volume. Surprisingly, some of the best hair inspiration I found was on the runways — actual ‘dos you can actually. Here are five of the best hairstyles that look chic, beat the heat and keep frizz at bay. But the best part: They’re not as daunting as you may think. Just follow our handy how-to guides, and give yourself an extra ten minutes in the morning. Your topknot will never be the same again.
Your perfect summer hairstyle lies ahead.
So many possibilities! | Image via Free People.
Hey, we get it—piercings aren’t for everyone. But for the people who are into piercings (and it seems like it’s really catching on), we at Shoppist have decided to deem it The Year of the Piercing.
And it looks like Free People agrees.