The updated twist to Out of Africa dressing is less rugged and more regal — silk instead of khaki, stone instead of wood, flashes of rose gold, and all-neutral everything.
Click for where to buy.
Bargain-hunting actually does make you happy. | Shutterstock.
- This is interesting: According to neurological research, when you find an item you love, particularly an item you feel you’re getting a bargain on, the pleasure center of your brain lights up. The downside? Falsely inflated prices. [The Atlantic]
- Apparently, anything you return to Victoria’s Secret doesn’t get resold or donated. It gets shredded — sometimes on the spot. How’s that for eco-conscious [Styleite]
Next: The shoe that takes selfies.
Own the shopping scene. | Shutterstock.
There are certain perks that many people think are only reserved for the very, very elite shopper: free alterations, personal stylists, access to sample sales. But sweet, under-the-radar services are there for the taking (some at most unexpected stores, like H&M) — you just need to know where to look.
For instance, did you know that if you take a bag of old clothes to H&M to recycle, they’ll give you 15 percent off one item? (It’s part of their green fashion initiative.) And if you buy a pair of jeans over $20 at Uniqlo, you get free alterations. Read more »
Pinterest has taken the blogging world by storm, and is also probably single-handedly keeping A.C. Moore in business, as enthusiastic DIYers desperately try to copy the things they’ve seen on various boards. But the site can be overwhelming and confusing for newcomers, so we’re making it easy to dip your toe into the phenomenon. Here, 15 of the best fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and home pinners you need to follow right now. (Oh, and while you’re at it, follow us, why don’t you?) Read more »
My name is …
Illustration by Andy Friedman
Dom Streater. It’s short for Dominique. Growing up, I had myriad nicknames: Domo, Domino, Domino Brown Sugar, Dom. And Dom was the one that stuck.
I am a … fashion and textile designer.
My childhood home was at … 58th and Chestnut in West Philadelphia.
These days, I live in … Francisville. At least, I think that’s what it’s called. There are new names for these neighborhoods every day. But I’m near 15th and Poplar.
My most closely guarded beauty secret is … coconut oil. I use it all over. It’s like nature’s miracle. Read more »
Image via Mic.com.
- Models from Australia are attempting to get the fashion industry to drop the “plus size” label for models. What’s crazy: For models, anything over a size four is considered plus-size. WTF. [Elle]
- You know what they say about April showers … they suck. Here’s a guide to make sure your rain coat is actually waterproof. [Refinery 29]
- This celeb stylist says that Coachella totally “needs to die,” and here’s why. [Cosmopolitan]
Next: What happens to your skin when you stop drinking coffee.
It seemed a little iffy from the start, but we’ve seen everything possible in fashion so we went with it: a portable ant farm, worn on your wrist, by Philly-based Analog Watch Co. Analog has really jumped the shark with this one, we thought. In fact, we were about to email Lorenzo Buffa, the head of Analog Watch Co., whom we know from back when we featured his gorgeous minimalist wooden watch, and ask him if he’d gone completely nuts.
The watch, according to the website, will go on sale on April 1st (cough) for $59. The kit (pictured below) includes nesting sand, tweezers, a feeding tube, a refillable watch body, a case tool and live harvester ants. Still with us? Read more »
How to look and feel fresher in 60 seconds (fab sunnies help). | Shutterstock.
- Got one minute? Do just one of these 23 tricks and you’ll look brighter, feel better and start your day off right. [Cosmopolitan]
- Day beds instead of sofas, no more drawers, silicon furniture: The head designer of IKEA Sweden on his seven predictions for what your house will look like in 2020. [Fast Company]
- Have white sneakers? Then you need to read this, the go-to guide for cleaning white kicks. [GQ]
Next: What your luggage says about you.
Here’s hoping that Eva’s makeup brand can make us look like that. | Image via Getty.
- Eva Mendes is launching a makeup brand, CIRCA, and the most expensive thing is less than the cost of a movie ticket. [Elle]
- Happy Spring! Celebrate this brutal winter’s end (well, sort of) with these spring must-haves all under $30. [Refinery 29]
- Your spring break just got a whole lot chicer. Here are 18 pairs of adorable sandals to freshen up your vacation wardrobe. [WhoWhatWear]
Up next: The nine items you shouldn’t have in your home over age 30. (Eek.)
Image via One Kings Lane
- These mistakes might have your home in total upheaval. Here, 8 super-easy ways to remedy them and get your home back in order. [Refinery 29]
- If you’re looking to sport pastel makeup this spring, these are the fail-safe hues to try. [InStyle]
- Girlfriend jeans, boyfriend jeans’ slimmer, sexier counterpart, are winning spring. [NY Daily News]
Up Next: What House Of Cards can teach us about fashion.