- Introducing the world’s easiest trick to make your perfume last all day long. All you need is a dab of fragrance-free Vaseline. [PureWow]
- Saint Laurent made a knockoff of a Forever 21 dress (no, you’re not reading that wrong), and it’s pretty blatant. Pure accident or fast-fashion dig? You be the judge. [Refinery29]
- High-fashion photog Patrick Demarchelier just gave Dressbarn a major makeover, complete with farm animals and a top model – and we kinda love it. [The Cut]
- Why do stores ask for your zip code? Do employees really have code words for problem shoppers? (Yes.) There are a lot of dirty retail secrets behind every store, and this article lays them all out. That chaotic sale rack? It’s a mess on purpose, so you’re less likely to go through it and more likely to buy something full-price. That ‘made in Italy’ label? It doesn’t mean that product was actually made in Italy. The more you know. [Refinery29]
- Kimono alert! That gorgeous silk kimono Kate Hudson wore in a recent Instagram pic has been found online — and it’s on sale! Adding to cart … now. [SheFinds]
- The fashion collection I’m currently coveting: Hillier Bartley, a collaboration between Katie Hillier and Luella Bartley that just launched online. It’s so, so, so good. [Grazia]
This season’s refined earth-mother aesthetic is an opulent blend of moody colors, cozy textures and rich fabrics, sliced through with an occasional flash-sparkle of gilt. It’s a style best approached with wild abandon—mix well! Pile on!—and the warmest way to welcome fall. On the following pages, we show you how to wear it all. Photography by Justin James Muir; styling by Lauren Kozakiewicz; hair and makeup by Alayna Rakes; carpets courtesy of Bloomingdale’s, King of Prussia and Willow Grove. Read more »
I don’t remember what I wore to my first job interview (I shudder to imagine it), but I do recall the outfit I wore to interview for this job: a camel-colored leather pencil skirt, skinny black turtleneck, a vintage black sleeveless dress that buttons all the way up, worn as a longish vest, and oxblood heels. The vintage part wouldn’t have gotten me the gig at, say, Vogue (vintage doesn’t work for an interview there), but it worked here. Turns out, it probably wasn’t the pencil skirt or heels that did it. It was my color choice: Lots of black.
A British t-shirt company surveyed 1,000 people to find out their perceptions of color. The results: 56 percent of participants perceived black to be the color that “most inspires confidence.” Read more »
- Kick the daily what-to-wear dilemma with this simple trick: combine a classic pairing with a wild card (all of which you probably already own) and you’re golden. [PureWow]
- Currently freezing in your cubicle? You’re not alone. According to a new study, most office buildings set the temperature according to an outdated formula centered around the metabolic rates of men. Grrrr. [New York Times]
- Speaking of needless chills, remember the age-old advice that rinsing your hair with cold water makes it shinier? Turns out that’s not totally true, and it might actually be doing damage to your strands. [Into The Gloss]
You may have heard that President Barack Obama visited Kenya last week. You may not know that Philadelphia businesswoman Elissa Bloom went on the trip as well to offer her take on how entrepreneurs can navigate the changing startup world.
The executive director of the Philadelphia Fashion Incubator, Bloom’s organization helps “teach the business side of fashion” — which is often overlook because people are so focused on style and design. Read more »
The University City Science Center has been fostering innovation from young entrepreneurs long before it was trendy and cool. After 52 years, they know a thing or two about taking a company from the concept stage to a serious player in their industry.
I recently visited UCSC where I spoke to four very different entrepreneurs who are doing some seriously cool stuff. Here’s what I learned: Read more »
This summer, Japanese-inspired styles make their way to fashion’s forefront in the form of sculptural obi belts, kimono-style jackets, and sleek architectural takes on shape and function. Here are my eight favorite ways to tap into the look.
- Yep, a former Condé Nast fashion editor shops the sale racks. Here are her secrets to scoring the best, affordable fashion finds. Tip 1: Ignore seasons and don’t be a complete fabric snob. [WhoWhatWear]
- Jessica Simpson is planning to open freestanding boutiques for her billion-dollar eponymous fashion empire, which is now sold at stores like Macy’s and Dillard’s. [US Weekly]
- Okay, this is amazing: Marilyn Manson took to a Reddit AMA on Friday to divulge his makeup routine. Shocker: He really knows his brands. [Styleite]