The work of a true fashion legend will be debuting at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Patrick Kelly: Runway of Love is a fashion exhibit with a slew of inspirations and influences. The late Patrick Kelly, who died of AIDS in January 1990, is an unforgettable African-American designer that challenged the norm and brought new, edgy flair to the fashion world.
His goal was simple: he once said, “I want my clothes to make you smile.” His early work gained the attention of French Elle which featured him in February 1985. He pulled inspiration from his African American and Southern roots, his knowledge of fashion and art history, and the club and gay scenes of New York and Paris.
This is world class art, and definitely the kind of see-and-be-seen event to close off the month. Speaking of world class, one of Philly’s fiercest queens, Brittany Lynn, will be on the red carpet, so try not to show up looking busted. If you want a sneak peek, check out the preview of the exhibit. Click here to get your (free) ticket. Friday, May 30, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Free, Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Catch Altar Boyz before they sashay away.
- Ritu Comes Home tells the story of an affluent gay couple and the third-world child they supported who grows up and shows up at their doorstep.
- 90’s Parties are always in (especially with DJ Deejay).
- The Calamari Sisters’ Big Fat Italian Wedding brings music and comedy to Penn’s Landing.
- The Ritz at the Bourse will be screening Straight & Butch, a tale of models and lots and lots of nakedness.
- The Weird Beard Revue keeps things furry at L’etage.
- Rock the Boat for some fantastic causes – the boat party includes live entertainment, dancing, drink specials, and a raffle
- It’s the prom you’ve always dreamed of: A Very Tabu Prom will be a night to remember. A portion of the proceeds will go to The Attic Youth Center.
- Drag Queens aren’t the only sickening ones in Philly. Don’t miss the 19th Annual Mr. Philly Drag King Competition.
- The latest Qventure will take participants vertical – rock climbing to be specific.