Photo | Michael M. Koehler
Last November, Sergey Kovalev pounded Bernard Hopkins in fight in Atlantic City. He won via unanimous decision, and people speculated: Was this the end for B-Hop?
After all, Hopkins said post-fight he’d probably retire unless something intriguing came along. He also turned 50 in January. But it appears he’s found something interesting. Today he tells longtime Daily News boxing scribe Bernard Fernandez he’s looking for one last fight — in London. Read more »
In this May 2, 2015, photo, Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, hits Manny Pacquiao, from the Philippines, during their welterweight title fight in Las Vegas.
Like millions of other Americans, Center City attorney Allan H. Gordon and Rittenhouse Square realtor Seth Lamb wanted to watch last Saturday night’s “Fight of the Century” between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. So each man plunked down Showtime’s pay-per-view fee, which ranged from $89 to $100, and sat back in their respective homes — Gordon at his second home in Florida — and watched the match. And less than a week later, the men have joined forces to file a class-action lawsuit in a Philadelphia court against the fighters, the the cable network, and others. Read more »
Floyd Mayweather gets a FaceTime call from Tom Brady before hi media workout at his Mayweather Boxing Club on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Salangsang)
On May 2nd, Floyd Mayweather will go up against Manny Pacquaio in a much-publicized fight available at a premium price on Pay-Per-View. Mayweather has evolved into something of a pop-culture phenomenon with his flashy Money Team brand and bravado. As a fighter, his dedication to the sport means that he has often taken his work home: Deadspin has done fantastic reporting on Mayweather’s history as an alleged domestic abuser.
This is why I won’t be paying the hefty price tag to watch him pulverize anyone else. It’s why you shouldn’t, either. Read more »
Bernard Hopkins in Atlantic City.
It’s only been a couple of months since Philly Mag’s Dan McQuade proclaimed we’d probably seen Bernard Hopkins’ last fight after losing to Sergey Kovalev.
Maybe not. AP reports the Philly legend wants to keep boxing … into his 50s.
Read more »
Bernard Hopkins is knocked down by Sergey Kovalev during their WBA/IBF/WBO light heavyweight title bout at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall.
The crowd was so boisterous you almost forgot they came to see a 49-year-old Philadelphian get beaten up.
Okay, they didn’t come to see that, but that was the end result. Sergey Kovalev rocked Philly’s Bernard Hopkins in a unanimous decision Saturday night at Atlantic City’s Boardwalk Hall. Judges gave Kovalev every round. From the time he knocked down Hopkins in the first, the fight never seemed in doubt. Kovalev landed 121 power punches to Hopkins’ 40.
For years Hopkins has beaten his opponents with a mix of incredible conditioning and masterful mind games. “I play chess every day, with human beings,” Hopkins told the HBO Boxing podcast last month. “And most of these guys are checker-playin’.” Hopkins was playing chess on Saturday, and Kovalev came and smashed the board in half with 166 punches.
Hopkins has lost before, but not this badly. He turns 50 next year. He no longer has his light heavyweight title. Boxing scribes immediately asked the question post-fight: Is this the end for Bernard Hopkins?
Read more »
Police have made an arrest in the January 17th killing of Nelson Viera, one of three homicides in Atlantic City this year. Omar Curry, 24, has been charged with murder and weapons offenses.
Just three days before, Curry boxed at Bally’s Atlantic City. Curry and Marvin Johnson fought to a majority draw in the four-round pro debut for each of the fighters last Saturday in Atlantic City.
Read more »
The New York Times reports: “Matthew Saad Muhammad, a former boxing champion known for his bruising style whose rags-to-riches-to-rags life story began in abandonment and nearly ended in homelessness, died on Sunday in Philadelphia, where for many years he had been a local hero. He was thought to be 59.”
Read more »
Earlier this week, Philadelphia Celebrity Boxing promoter Damon Feldman told us that George Zimmerman would be coming to Philadelphia next week. The purpose: to take part in a press conference for the upcoming boxing match pitting Trayvon Martin’s killer against troubled rap star DMX. But on Friday morning, facing a torrent of outrage, Feldman said that Zimmerman wouldn’t be appearing as scheduled. Read more »
UPDATE: Under pressure from the growing opposition to the George Zimmerman/DMX boxing match, fight promoter Damon Feldman has indicated that Zimmerman will not appear at the Philadelphia press conference next week.
Trayvon Martin would have been 19 on Wednesday, had he not been shot and killed by George Zimmerman in Florida. And so when news spread on Wednesday that Philadelphia-based Celebrity Boxing promoter Damon Feldman (below) had announced a George Zimmerman vs. DMX bout, well, a lot of people started crying foul. (There’s also a White House petition to stop the fight). I got Feldman on the phone to talk about it. Read more »