The charming storefront — motorcycle and all. | Josh Middleton.
It’s hard to miss Nic Grooming along the promenade of businesses around 20th and Locust. Sure, there’s a barber’s pole outside the door, but the real standout is the bright red vintage motorcycle in the window. The space has been a barbershop for nearly 40 years, though it was recently taken over and given a modern update by Nick Berardi, son of the owner of Richard Nicholas Hair Studio in Rittenhouse, where he’s worked for several years, taking on a majority of the male clientele.
Inside, the no-frills shop is cool but compact. There’s an exposed brick wall, three barbers’ stations, a sink for washing and a small waiting area, where you scribble your name on a chalkboard and await your turn. Berardi created the business to pay homage to the old-school, super-personalized barbershop experience, but added in some luxe salon-type amenities along the way (think: hot towel massages, a free beer with every cut). It’s ideal for guys who want to keep their locks in check without all the fussiness of a salon. Read more »
The Lip Bar van is on a national tour now. | The Lip Bar.
Shopping tip of the day: The Lip Bar, a national makeup truck specializing in candy-bright, vegan lipstick and lip glosses, is rolling into Old City later this afternoon and setting up shop in front of The Geisha House. (If The Lip Bar sounds familiar, that’s because you saw the founders on an episode of Shark Tank—sadly, they walked away without a deal.)
From 4pm to 7pm, shop the makeup truck’s selection of lip colors both splashy (blue, purple, grey) and subtle (nude, pink, red). Talk about lip service.
Read more »
Breezy beach style. | Shutterstock.
- Beach coverups don’t have to always be caftans and sarongs. This is how you can rock the coverup game with pieces you’ll want to wear long after you’ve taken off your swimsuit. [Vogue]
- Here’s a sneak peek of all of the items from Target’s collaboration with jewelry designer Eddie Borgo. (You’ll want them all.) [PopSugar]
- After conquering the fashion world with The Row, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are breaking into the beauty sphere with body oils and hand cream. We’re adding these to our shopping list now. [Byrdie]
Up Next: Audrey Hepburn’s weird (and semi-dangerous) beauty trick.
Your best hair ever awaits. | Shutterstock.
As much as we talk about skin protection in the summer (are you wearing sunscreen now? Go put some on!), we rarely discuss the fact that our hair can take quite a beating in the sun. I chatted with Cassie LeMunyon, a colorist and stylist at Suede Salon and Spa in Marlton to get tips on keeping locks healthy and fresh. Read more »
Shampoo before soap. | Shutterstock.
- Turns out there is a right way to shower and doing it wrong can cause skin irritation, bacne, limp hair and clogged pores. [Glamour]
- This is what happens when you wear the same thing every day for a month. (Spoiler: People will notice a lot faster than you think they will.) [Refinery29]
- We might soon seen the end of tax-free online shopping. [Fashionista]
Next: MAC’s newest lipstick and a fashion mag’s closing.
Prada, pits and Lohan.
- First, we dyed it. Now, we’re adding gemstone stickers and pastel extensions. To our armpits. [Styleite]
- To combat lagging sales, Prada is introducing lower-priced bags, so that all devils might wear it. [Bloomberg]
- Gross: This is what expired makeup looks like in a petri dish. (So go toss all out-of-date lip glosses now!) [xoJane]
Next: Lindsay Lohan’s fourth try at a fashion line; designer buys to get on sale now.
Purging your closet should start with your underwear drawer. | Shutterstock.
- We might be well into summer, but it’s never too late to spring-clean. From “period underwear” (you have this, just admit it) to bootcut jeans, here are 33 items in your closet you need to ditch now. [The Fashion Spot]
- Say what you will about the ever-polarizing Gwyneth Paltrow, but you have to admit that girlfriend’s got gorgeous skin. Good news for us: She’s launching a skincare line. [Racked]
- Can you really make $100,000 selling your old clothes on Poshmark? This girl did. (After reading, I downloaded it immediately.) [Refinery29]
Up next: Man Repeller’s activewear collection and the best liquid eyeliner out there.
From left: Local makeup pros Béke Beau, B Wilson and Monique Mason.
After a very ill-fated love affair with self-tanning lotion in high school, I’ve stuck to special-occasion spray tans (see my list of the best places to get those in Philly here) and a bronzer for everyday. The latter has become the secret weapon of my makeup bag, but it’s taken me some time to find one that doesn’t turn my skin some cake-y terracotta shade. (The one I’m currently obsessed with: Monica Virga’s spray-on bronzer, which gives me a long-lasting glow that looks totally natural.)
I checked in with three of my fave local beauty pros to find out which bronzer earns a coveted spot in their makeup bags. Here’s a peek at their top picks. Read more »