- We’re not saying that everyone’s makeup bag looks like a clip from an episode of Hoarders, but most beauty-lovers do have a tendency to stock up on products we don’t really need. Clear out your cosmetic drawer by ditching these 10 unnecessary beauty products. (Suck it, cellulite cream and hand lotion. Yes, we said hand lotion.) [Pure Wow]
- Ivanka Trump‘s RNC speech might have garnered applause across party lines, but the dress she wore – a blush sheath from her eponymous clothing line – is stirring up controversy for not being made in America. Eek. [The Cut]
Plus, a human leather collection?!
Happy holiday weekend, y’all! In our minds it may still be May, but alas, we find ourselves at the most patriotic holiday of the year. Whether you’re headed to Grandma’s Shore house or a weekend of debauchery with your college pals, there are certain necessities that the Shore calls for. Here’s what to get, where to go, and what to do to ensure that you have the greatest Fourth of July ever! Read more »
Images via 1, 2, 3
Instagram is a beauty lover’s best friend. Scrolling through the explore page, you’re bound to find countless artists showcasing their talents from glammed out bridal looks to gory special effects makeup using all the latex. As it turns out, you don’t need to go far to find some wow-worthy beauty ’Grammers. (Told ya so.) We rounded up 13 of the best Philly beauty Instagrams out there to satisfy the Sephora addict within. Hit the follow button to add a daily dose of glam to that IG feed with these local beauties.
Read more »
- Nowadays bathing suits are out of control. Straps are placed everywhere but your shoulders and strategically designed cutouts pretty much guarantee the worst tan lines ever. In order to avoid looking like a zapped zebra, check out these tips on how to fix and prevent awful tan lines. Hint: Bronze all over with self-tanner at night to fill in any pale spots. [Vogue]
- The fashion world lost an icon, Bill Cunningham, over the weekend. He was a pioneer in street style photography and made his life’s work documenting realtime fashion on the streets of New York. His discerning eye and humble demeanor will surely be missed. Here are 15 reasons he will always be in our hearts. [Bustle]
Plus, the best beauty secrets on Reddit>
I can hear the pitchforked, gel-crazed riots already: “But gel lasts so much longer!” and “You don’t know anything about nails!” etc. Yes, gel manis do last longer than a classic polish. And no, a classic polish can’t compete with gel’s instant drying allure. But the last gel mani I got is the last gel mani I’ll ever get, thanks to seven (count ’em, seven!) nails breaking off painfully low, and all ten feeling paper-thin after “safely” removing the gel. Not to mention, while I was baking my fingertips under the UV light, the skin underneath my nails felt like it was boiling. Turns out, gel manicures are bad for you, straight up. I chatted with a dermatologist and some Philly salon owners about the safety concerns gel manicures raise, and why they really aren’t worth it in the long run. Read more »
Image via Wilde Gatherings.
From cleansers to serums to hair masks, beauty oils are having a big moment right now. Consider them the nutrient-packed superfood of nature with a side of aromatherapy benefits to boot. Mix ‘em into your skincare routine before bed for an extra boost or use to spot-treat common skin issues the all-natural way. We caught up with Kelley Hughes of Parlour in Fishtown and owner of just-launched skincare line Wilde Gatherings to hear her shortlist of go-to beauty oils. They’re vitamin-packed, easy to find, and oh-so-good for your skin, so start ramping up your skincare routine right now. (Insider tip: You can make your own beauty oil blends by picking up these oils at your nearest Whole Foods or health food store.) Read more »
Janelle Monaé at 2014 Roots Picnic | Joe McGee for Phillymag.com
- Thousands of R&B fans flocked to Festival Pier last weekend as The Roots Picnic swept through town. As usual, stylish Philadelphians showed out in droves, and NY Mag put together a slideshow of the best street style at this year’s Roots Picnic. [The Cut]
- In a perfect world, you’d be able to show up to work in a velour sweatsuit and house slippers. However, the next best (and kind of socially acceptable) option is leggings. Here’s how to pull off wearing leggings to work. Tip: try pairing them with a menswear-inspired blazer for a totally morning-meeting-appropriate look. [Pop Sugar]
Plus, the dirtiest items in your makeup bag.
Planet cards and palm readings. | Images via Lush.
You don’t have to ask me twice to try out a spa treatment — especially when said spa treatment is a four-hour, spiritually-focused, astronomical journey into next-level relaxation. I had the fortune of being one of the first to try out The Planets treatment at Lush Spa, set to roll out to the public later this month. Inspired by stargazing and Gustav Holst’s classical piece ‘The Planets’, the treatment took years to develop.
The premise of the treatment is a little fluffy — time is a continuum, there are untapped galaxies within all of us, and that we need to address the past, present and future to take control of our universe — but I totally bought in, delved deep, and walked away from Lush a new woman. Here’s how the four-hour, $495 treatment went down: Read more »
So you laid out on the beach all day to try and bring some life back into those translucently pale legs, but only managed to go from white to 50 shades of lobster — we feel your pain. While prevention is the ultimate way to protect your skin, sometimes burns happen. If you want an all-natural remedy to soothe your sunburned skin, you probably already have everything you need in your kitchen. We chatted with Chrissy Dress, medical esthetician at Kaaya Med Spa, to find out three sunburn remedies that have been passed down through her family for generations. Read more »