Banish post-party bloat. | Shutterstock.
- There’s nothing worse than waking up with a puffy moon-face after a glass or two (or six) of wine. Enter ‘Super Acids X-treme Hangover Mask‘, which cures dehydrated, puffy, dull skin. Note: It’ll erase your facial puffiness, but not that nasty headache. (For that, drink Pedialyte. Really.) [Huffington Post]
- Yikes: I guarantee you’re making at least three of these manicure mistakes. For instance, using the jet bowls in the pedi chair (bacteria!), drying nails under a UV light (aging!), and filing your nails in a back-and-forth direction (tearing!). Here are 12 of the worst, most surprising nail offenders. [PopSugar]
Click here for a roundup of the most gorgeous wedding-guest dresses out there now.
Hello, cheekbones. | Shutterstock.
- For better or worse, I’ve been at war with my roundish face for years. But instead of focusing on contouring (which I semi-hate), fuller-faced gals like me should instead opt for one of these face-flattering haircuts. [Byrdie]
- Bag drama: Jane Birkin — the namesake of the cultish Hermès Birkin bag — isn’t so happy with the way Hermès slaughters crocs for its Birkin Croco purses, and she wants her name off of them. [The Cut]
- More shakeups in the fashion world: Alexander Wang is rumored to be out as creative director of Balenciaga. The lengendary French fashion house is reportedly looking for more under-the-radar talent (i.e. someone who’s not besties with Lady Gaga). [WWD]
Next: Inside Khloé Kardashian’s enviable ‘fitness closet.’
How to deal with hairy situations. | Shutterstock.
In the grand list of things we do in the name of beauty and self-maintenance, bikini waxes are down at the very bottom of the list. They’re painful and, even worse, inexplicably awkward. But if you’ve gotta get it done, you’re best getting it done at one of these spots. I can’t promise that it won’t be painful, but it’ll be thorough, quick, and as comfortable as possible (read: less small talk, more expert efficiency). Read more »
Yes, this is totally normal. | Shutterstock.
- Here are 10 myths you’ve probably heard on the salon floor that aren’t totally true. For example: Drugstore products really aren’t the worst things on earth, you probably don’t actually need to get a trim every six weeks, and you definitely don’t have to have an arsenal of fifteen different styling products. [Refinery29]
- It’s the end of an era: Louis Vuitton is officially discontinuing the candy-colored Murakami monogram bags. They’ll be completely gone by the end of this month. #neverforget. [StyleCaster]
- Analysts are predicting that by 2017, the number one clothing retailer in the country will be … Amazon. [Business of Fashion]
Next: Limited Too is coming back from the dead!
Manis by the sea. | Shutterstock.
Nothing ravages perfectly polished nails quite like saltwater and gritty sand. This is why, even on a sunny day, you’ll find women lined up at mani stations and sitting in pedi chairs at the Shore. Whether you need a quickie, no-frills mani or a totally pampering pedi, we’ve got you covered — from Cape May to AC. Have a favorite spot we missed? Leave it in the comments! Read more »
Whole Foods’ beauty selection. | Whole Foods.
Sometimes the best beauty products can be found in the most unexpected places (West Philly’s International Food and Spices, South Philly’s Fante’s). So when we came across this great article breaking down the best finds at Trader Joe’s — think yummy Coconut Body Butter and anti-aging Nourish Antioxidant Facial Serum — we decided to do some digging of our own. Here, Philly Mag’s discerning editors share their favorite go-to beauty buys from Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.
Read more »
- Wearing high heels with shorts can be tricky territory. Follow these rules (the biggie: avoid pairing super-short shorts with super-high heels) to nail the look. [WhoWhatWear]
- Sad news: Burt Shavitz, the bearded, retired beekeeper who founded cosmetic empire Burt’s Bees, died over the weekend at age 80. The story of his life — much of which he spent living in a cabin in Maine with no heat or running water — is fascinating. [WWD]
- Today marks the debut of Cupcakes and Cashmere blogger Emily Schuman’s first clothing collection. Shop it here. [Shopbop]
Up next: The Army is getting a whole new uniform look.
The charming storefront — motorcycle and all. | Josh Middleton.
It’s hard to miss Nic Grooming along the promenade of businesses around 20th and Locust. Sure, there’s a barber’s pole outside the door, but the real standout is the bright red vintage motorcycle in the window. The space has been a barbershop for nearly 40 years, though it was recently taken over and given a modern update by Nick Berardi, son of the owner of Richard Nicholas Hair Studio in Rittenhouse, where he’s worked for several years, taking on a majority of the male clientele.
Inside, the no-frills shop is cool but compact. There’s an exposed brick wall, three barbers’ stations, a sink for washing and a small waiting area, where you scribble your name on a chalkboard and await your turn. Berardi created the business to pay homage to the old-school, super-personalized barbershop experience, but added in some luxe salon-type amenities along the way (think: hot towel massages, a free beer with every cut). It’s ideal for guys who want to keep their locks in check without all the fussiness of a salon. Read more »
The Lip Bar van is on a national tour now. | The Lip Bar.
Shopping tip of the day: The Lip Bar, a national makeup truck specializing in candy-bright, vegan lipstick and lip glosses, is rolling into Old City later this afternoon and setting up shop in front of The Geisha House. (If The Lip Bar sounds familiar, that’s because you saw the founders on an episode of Shark Tank—sadly, they walked away without a deal.)
From 4pm to 7pm, shop the makeup truck’s selection of lip colors both splashy (blue, purple, grey) and subtle (nude, pink, red). Talk about lip service.
Read more »
Breezy beach style. | Shutterstock.
- Beach coverups don’t have to always be caftans and sarongs. This is how you can rock the coverup game with pieces you’ll want to wear long after you’ve taken off your swimsuit. [Vogue]
- Here’s a sneak peek of all of the items from Target’s collaboration with jewelry designer Eddie Borgo. (You’ll want them all.) [PopSugar]
- After conquering the fashion world with The Row, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are breaking into the beauty sphere with body oils and hand cream. We’re adding these to our shopping list now. [Byrdie]
Up Next: Audrey Hepburn’s weird (and semi-dangerous) beauty trick.