- Beauty PSA: Stop following the smoky eye tutorials on YouTube. Everyone’s eye shape is different, so what looks great on one person can look like a raccoon-eyed mess on you. Here’s how to use an eyeshadow quad to get the most out of your peepers. [Into The Gloss]
- Traveling for Thanksgiving? Steal the style of these 10 girls who have their travel-style game on. (Number 9 is my fave.) [PopSugar]
- J.Crew’s creative director Jenna Lyons wore this to Solange Knowles’s wedding. It is by far the best outfit anyone has ever worn to a wedding in the history of time. [WhoWhatWear]
Up next: 17 winter-perfect dark nail polishes that aren’t black.
- The padded bra is officially a relic. Now you can get a saline injection that temporarily gives you a fuller chest (one doc calls them “vacation boobs”); breasts deflate in about 24 hours as your body absorbs the saline. [Shape]
- And now washing your face with plain old tap water isn’t good enough. People are swearing off the sink and only washing up with micellar water—a special blend of oil and water. Are they on to something? [Total Beauty]
Up next: How to layer, keep tights from tearing, and get longer hair.
Last week, I posed this question on our in-office messaging system, Slack: “What’s your favorite hand cream?” I thought the ladies of the office would chime in instantly, and from the male editors, I’d get crickets. Shocker: The guys here are serious when it comes to hand cream. (Almost as serious as they are about their beard oil.)
Here are the best salves, ointments, butters, balms, lotions and creams, as recommended by Philly Mag’s discerning editors. And proof that real men use hand moisturizer.
Click for more.
- Glittery blush, too much eyeliner and stick-straight hair actually make you look way older than you really are. More incentive to make that hair appointment, huh? [Byrdie]
- The popular blog A Beautiful Mess has opened an e-store, filled with all sorts of crafty, adorable goodness. I’m obsessed with the printed Washi tape. [A Beautiful Mess]
More fun—with Beyoncé—ahead.
Your favorite new lipstick is here.
When my Shoppist partner in crime and assistant editor Marina came to work last week, she was wearing the most divine lipstick ever. I generally wear a pale gloss, so I leave all the lipstick sleuthing to her—and she always delivers.
She was wearing one of the 40 shades featured in NARS’s fall collection, called Audacious. The lipsticks are super-pigmented, so you get a rich, intense color with a single swipe. (No lip pencil needed!) It’s not ultra-matte, either, so it feels more like a user-friendly creamy gloss, but the color is long-lasting: I watched it last all day on Marina, even through lunch and coffee number two.
Click for where to find it in Philly.
Foliage not included.
Following Starbuck’s announcement of the Chestnut Praline latte, its first new holiday beverage since 2009, some seasonal beverage devotees found themselves clutching their PSL’s for dear life. Luckily, the beauty benefits of pumpkin and its autumnal cohort are infinitely better than its sugary beverage counterpart. And even better? You scan score these fun get-you-glowing-from-within beauty treatments right here in Philly and the ‘burbs. New fall tradition, anyone?
Click here for all the deets.
- Ditch your grande PSL for these antioxidant-rich and anti-inflammatory pumpkin beauty products. Way fewer calories, too. [The Zoe Report]
- In just three days, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners will be able to forgo credit cards and instead use their phones for purchases. Here’s everything you need to know about Apply Pay. [Lucky]
Up next: How to deal with losing your favorite piece of jewelry.
- Picture this: you have the perfect outfit for your job interview. The only thing missing is a professional-meets-flattering lipstick. No fear! Here, five shades for every career aspiration. [The Zoe Report]
- Looking to score a vintage fur or leather jacket for the cold weather? Don’t buy without reading this handy guide to buying vintage outerwear. [Fashionista]
Up next: This new gadget helps you find your perfect foundation shade.
Makeup goes all Lichtenstein. | Screenshot via YouTube.
Confession: I find makeup tutorial videos extremely mesmerizing. On numerous occasions, I’ve fallen down a black hole watching YouTube videos of Madison, a five-year-old girl who makes the most adorable makeup videos ever. (If you ever need to cheer yourself up, watch this. Or this. Or, oh my god, THIS. Just scroll to the 7:20 mark and you will explode from all of the cuteness.)
But it’s not just tiny, precocious beauty gurus that delight me. Watching anyone transform themselves with makeup is fascinating, especially when they venture into the grotesque or fantastical. Don’t believe me? Watch these videos for your best Halloween makeup ever. (Warning: It’s a black hole and some are more than a little creepy.)
Click here for the crazy.
- These are the fugliest shoes I’ve ever seen. Prepare yourselves. This isn’t going to be pretty. [Net-A-Porter]
- Gwyneth Paltrow is maybe starting a clothing line. [Jezebel]
- Did you know that 15 years ago, a size 0 didn’t even exist? And it all started with Nicole Miller. [Glamour]
Up next: Leather manicures.