In a world where going hands-free is the ultimate luxury, the cross-body bag reigns supreme. But this season, the most sophisticated shape is a classic top-handle, made modern with graphic lines, bold hardware and striking materials. (Hand-painted python, anyone?) Click here for prices and where to buy. (You know you’re curious.)
- Your newest ready-in-a-rush style hack is here: removing deodorant stains in seconds. Just remove the foam from your latest dry-cleaning hanger and rub it against the stain. The white will disappear instantly and you can be on your merry way. [Huffington Post]
- In fact, getting ready on the go may just be the norm nowadays, which is why we’re always looking for ways to save time in our beauty regimens. Check out these nine beauty tricks for
lazysmart girls, straight from Hollywood. Our faves include Yoncé’s lip balm eyelash primer and Jamie Chung’s use of Scotch tape for the perfect cat-eye flick. [Byrdie]
- BYU-Idaho just released a campus-wide ban on man-buns, deeming them too “extreme” of a hairstyle. Not only is this hilariously news-worthy, but the college ban may have just saved man-buns from extinction. (Which is actually good, because we were about ready to see the man-braid, and that’s not pretty.) [The Cut]
These sandals are the season’s prettiest, perhaps because they capture what’s most lovely about it: the deep cinnamons, brick burgundies and melted-chocolate browns of turning leaves. With chunky copper heels and a rich mix of leather and velvet, they’re fashion’s version of fall, a carbon copy of Mother Nature’s palette in a style that—thankfully—won’t change with the seasons.
In our fall fashion spread, you might have noticed gold boots sticking out from a pair of Etro flares. (Refresh your memory here.) They’re Saint Laurent and they’re close to tipping into the four figures, a price that, sadly, isn’t in my fall-shopping budget, even though my toes pine for a taste of their gilded glory.
Then — as if the golden-shoe gods were looking out for me! —I discovered this pair by Faye Sevilla Smith, a Philly-based designer whom you might remember from her Old City boutique Sevilla Smith. Though the brick-and-mortar has since shuttered, Faye is still designing, and her standout shoes deserve a spot in your fall boot arsenal. Read more »
Our local jewelry design crush, Drew Ginsburg of Dylanlex, recently gained major street cred when Lady Gaga donned one of her designs in an Entertainment Weekly photo spread. The images feature the pop star dripping in Dylanlex jewels, styled to promote her new role in American Horror Story: Hotel. Read more »
Welcome, officially and finally, to fall! While you’ve been Shore-ing, sunning and stealing every last bit of summer before it winds away, we’ve been digging head-first into the new season’s style offerings. And let me tell you: They are good. We asked Philly’s top shops to give us a peek at their fall buys. Every day, we’ll be breaking down the the styles they’re loving, the trends they’re featuring, and the pieces to add to your new-season shopping list. Happy shopping!
The Store: Knit Wit, Rittenhouse, Bryn Mawr and Margate
The Look: Dorothee Schumacher Read more »
Welcome, officially and finally, to fall! While you’ve been Shore-ing, sunning and stealing every last bit of summer before it winds away, we’ve been digging head-first into the new season’s style offerings. And let me tell you: They are good. We asked Philly’s top shops to give us a peek at their fall buys. Every day, we’ll be breaking down the the styles they’re loving, the trends they’re featuring, and the pieces to add to your new-season shopping list. Happy shopping! Read more »
Drexel grad Drew Ginsburg has been on my watch list for a long time (see: this). Her more-is-more necklaces — huge, collar-like pieces made from generous swoops of Swarovski crystals and piles of mixed-metal chains — had me pining for other super-sized accessories.
Apparently, I wasn’t the only one, as Drew’s cult-loved jewelry brand, Dylanlex, recently added a smattering of earrings, rings and bracelets to her bold, magpie mix. The shoulder-grazing danglers are more accessible than her necklaces, which can tip into the four figures; they range from $120 to $480. Wear them for evening or — my personal favorite — with an old band tee, flared jeans (or dark skinnies, holes optional) and a killer pair of heels. Voilá! Read more »
A few weeks ago, the lovely Lagos team (did you know the company is based in Philly?) dropped by to show us a few pieces from the brand’s new fall collection, and we were instantly smitten. The pieces are totally luxe — diamonds, 18K gold — but in a wear-everyday way. There are gorgeous stackable rings (which I prefer to wear piled up to the knuckle) and more contemporary pieces, like a large pyramid-like pendant strung on a super-long silver chain. But the standouts are part of the new Black Caviar collection, a modern riff on the brand’s signature design, clusters of tiny beads that resemble the delicacy.
- Shoe news: These 10 Madewell sandals are on major recall for the health threats they pose. The company has recalled over 50,000 pairs after numerous complaints of a metal shank dislodging and breaking through the bottom of the sandal. Ouch. [New York Times]
- Speaking of could-be threatening shoes, the thigh-high boot trend is big for fall.Here’s a primer on how to wear them IRL, as demonstrated by five real (read: not model-tall) women. [Glamour]
- Remember Bebe, mecca of tiny, tight club dresses? Well, the brand is seriously revamping its party-girl image for a more polished vibe. Think less Paris Hilton, more #GirlBoss CEO. And now we officially feel old. [WhoWhatWear]