Philadelphia Magazine’s Search for the Next Great Fashion Designer
For the second year in a row, Philadelphia magazine is hosting a citywide fashion design contest. Our goal? To discover the next great Philadelphia fashion designer—and to celebrate the work of local emerging designers in our pages. Think you’ve got what it takes? Keep reading for all the details on how to apply, and then get ready to show off your design chops.
Click here to see the 2013 winning fashion project on display at Knit Wit in Center City.
We will choose eight designers to participate in The Philly Mag Fashion Project (PMFP). These eight designers will:
- work hand-in-hand with our editors, stylists, and local mentors in the design and retail industry over the course of 10 weeks to design ONE PIECE EACH.
- have their piece featured in our September 2014 fashion feature.
- be entered in a Readers’ Choice contest, in which one designer will win a fabulous prize package.
Judging criteria: The eight PMFP contestants will be chosen based on their resume, portfolio, and design proposal. We will be judging based on level of experience, diversity and range of work, originality and innovation.
- MARCH 24: final application date
- APRIL 1: Eight PMFP finalists will be contacted via phone and/or email.
- APRIL 1- JUNE 15: Designers making pieces.
- NOTE: During this time, you MUST be available to work on your piece on your own time, in your own studio. During these weeks, you will meet at least once with Philadelphia magazine fashion editor Emily Goulet to review the progress and direction of your piece.
- MAY 1: All designers will have face-to-face meetings at Philadelphia magazine offices scheduled. By June 1, all individual meetings will have been completed. At this meeting, we will review the progress of your piece.
- JUNE 16: Completed piece submitted to Philadelphia magazine offices.