Happy Earth Day, Shoppists! Since we’ve not exactly of the green-thumbed variety over here, we’re celebrating Mother Earth by making smart, socially responsible shopping decisions. First up, Hand in Hand, the Philly-based company of husband-and-wife duo Courtney Apple and Bill Glaab. Together, they make the sweetest-smelling soaps (orange blossom, wildflower and fern, lavender, rose water, white tea, sea salt), bath salts and candles with an even sweeter mission.
- Happy Monday, Shoppists! First things first: Did you know there’s an app that tells you exactly what the day’s weather means for your hair? Cloudy with a chance of frizz, coming right up. [Jezebel]
- Today in closet lusting: This girl has the most insane wardrobe ever. Seriously: Prepare for major envy pangs. [The Coveteur]
- Queen Elizabeth turns 88 today. Here’s a look back at her most stylish moments (including a pic of the wee royal holding a fantastic purse). And you need to see her rocking a turban. [Huffington Post]
- You can now wear your Instagram pics on your nails. Selfie manis for everyone? [Kickstarter]
- World, we have the first shoppable music video! Watch it here, then dream of what could’ve been if this technology existed when MTV still played music videos. [Fast Company]
- This will get you excited for summer: a roundup of the best-dressed people at Coachella. Unsurprisingly, they are the same people who aren’t afraid of bringing a $4,000 backpack to an outdoor music festival. [Refinery29]
- Let this utterly chic French girl show you how to nail the perfect beauty look (think: less Kim Kardashian, more Charlotte Gainsbourg). [Glamour]
- Both Kanye West and Pharrell are creating sneaker collections for Adidas. How much do you want to bet that Yeezus’s will involve fur and gold in some way? [InStyle]
- Bobbi Brown—of the eponymous makeup empire—is now the editor-in-chief of Yahoo’s beauty site. (Did you know Yahoo has a beauty site?) [The Cut]
Girly-girls of Rittenhouse (actually, anyone with nails), rejoice! Luxury nail salon Lacquer Lounge is opening its doors on Tuesday, April 8. We love them for their Katy Perry-esque nail art (they polished digits at Philly Mag Shops), and for their super-high hygienic standards (think disposable liners and no whirlpool jets) to negate infections. So news of a second location has us thrilled.
- Face contouring has gotten way out of hand. (I blame this on Kim Kardashian.) Sure, it can help enhance cheekbones, but it can also make you look like THIS. [Jezebel]
- These five spring hair and makeup trends are totally worth checking out. For once, someone recommends going café au lait instead of blonde for spring! [Huffington Post]
- Oopsie! Nicole Kidman forgot to wear pants. (Also, what the heck happened to her face!?)[Fashionista]
If you haven’t gotten one of Rescue’s cult-adored facials yet, go. Run. (Yes, we all swear by them.) If you have gotten one, then you’re already probably familiar with Valmont, one of the luxe product lines the spa carries and swears by. And for good reason: Valmont’s Renewing Pack gives you an insta-glow. But with all the skin care products out there—BB creams, CC creams, masks, exfoliants, serums—it can be tricky to decide what you should be slathering on your skin, when you should be using it, and which products are better left alone. Rescue Spa to the, er, rescue.
- Happy Monday, Shoppists! Let’s kick things off with a cheat sheet to shopping at Sephora since, let’s face it, everything is tempting there. These 13 buys are worth it, and help you to resist those sale bins by the register. [Huffington Post]
- Somehow, Kanye managed to get Kim a Vogue cover. #annawintourcaved [Vogue]
- Ever wondered how high prices for high fashion will actually rise? Read this and panic. [Business of Fashion]
Confession: I have kept perfume that I don’t even wear (or even particularly like) simply because I dig the bottle. Hey, as we’ve shown, perfume displays can totally add style to any room—even the bathroom. But when you’re coming straight from a workout (or, ahem, a midday shopping jaunt that takes you waaay across town—er, sorry, boss!) you need a spritz of something that doesn’t overpower but still takes away that post-workout stench. Sister blog Be Well Philly to the rescue! They talked to 13 local fitness pros (yeah, these people actually sweat for a living) to find out which scents they turn to to freshen up after a sweat sesh. Bonus? Most of their picks will look pretty lovely on sitting on your countertop, too. You know, in case you care about that stuff. (Yes, we care about that stuff.)
See the 13 fitness-instructor-approved perfumes right here.
Want more scents stories? You’ll also enjoy these: