According to the press release, “Philadelphia has been well documented as a ‘city of makers’ entering into a renaissance of the handmade and upcycled. Philadelphia Independents is responding to this trend of customers seeking out locally sourced products and goods.”
But it's not just another shop in the vein of Art Star/Nice Things Handmade/VIX. Not only will everything they sell be made by only local artists, but they'll also host talks, demos and workshops. Hm. Sounds interesting. Let's see what artists they'll be carrying, shall we?
Some of the standouts I'll be scoping out:
- Betsy Ann Paper: adorable cards and stationery
- INDICAN: chunky jewelry made by Ashley Peel Pinkham, one of the owners of the shop
- Half Craft Studio: 3-D jewelry inspired by real gemstones in candy colors (I'm obsessed with these!)
- This Pretty Life: yummy soy candles
- On3Designs: I'm really hoping they'll carry her fabric necklaces
- StitchPrism: Gorgeous, delicate jewelry and aeriums
Other goodies you'll find: ceramics, prints, baby and pet gifts, repurposed furniture, home decor, handbags and more. The grand opening is from 5pm to 8pm on Friday, May 2nd.