5 New Year’s Eve Looks That Don’t Involve Sequins
Three things are definites at New Year’s Eve parties: 1. There will be champagne. 2. There will be a countdown. 3. There will be at least 14 girls wearing sequins. I love a good sequin-spangled dress as much as the next girl, but on New Year’s Eve, I prefer to play it sleek or pattern-happy. Here, five fresh looks that will have you standing out from the crowd—because when ringing in the New Year, your style should shine, not your dress.
1. Wear a jumpsuit. But opt for one with crisp tuxedo leanings and slim legs. Veronica Beard tuxedo jumpsuit, $795 at Kirna Zabete.
2. Choose pastels. Preferably a soft pink dress with clean lines. (Because the only thing more ubiquitous than sequins on NYE is an LBD.) Simone Rocha dress, $518 at The Corner.
3. Wear a bold ball gown skirt. I adore this Alice + Olivia version. Tone it down with a simple black turtleneck or sleeveless top. $698 at Neiman Marcus.
4. Mix and match patterns. Leave the LBD at home and opt instead for a geometric dress with contrasting patterns. $130 at Topshop.
5. Think scattered embellishments, not allover sequins. A smattering of interesting embellishments (holographic acrylic!) juxtaposed with a sweatshirt material is perfection. Roksanda Ilincic embellished sweatshirt dress, $3,995 at Browns.