The former Rohm and Haas building at the corner of 6th and Market Streets will be the home of a new La Colombe coffee cafe in 2015. La Colombe is leasing 1,700 square feet of ground-floor space at on Independence Mall. This will not be a mega La Colombe like the 11,000 square foot cafe recently opened in Fishtown.
The building has seen a rebirth of its public spaces since the joint venture of Keystone Property Group, Mack-Cali Realty Corporation and Parkway Corporation took over the building. Over the summer, the building’s plaza and breezeways were the home of the successful Independence Beer Garden.
La Colombe has been focusing on expansion since raising $28.5 million in backing this summer. No exact word on an opening date.
La Colombe [Official]
Maybe you’ve seen a can of the Icelandic beer, Einstök? The beer can features a too-cool-for-school viking, complete with hip sunglasses. I’ll admit I was sceptical as it felt a bit more Los Angeles ad agency than Arctic Circle. But it turns out it is a real brewery and not just a marketing concept.
Even better, Yards Brewing’s Tom Kehoe and La Colombe’s Todd Carmichael were recently in Iceland where they brewed up a collaborative beer with Einstök. Kehoe and Carmichael were in Iceland to film an episode of Dangerous Grounds and visited Einstök Brewery’s founder, Jack Sichterman. While there, they brewed a coffee pale ale called Snorri’s Awakening and you can preview it today at the Yards Tasting Room at 4 p.m.
Get to the brewery promptly in order to raise a pint with Kehoe, Carmichael and Sichterman, and figure out what the heck a Snorri is.
Yards Brewing [Official]
- Pollyodd, South Philly: Limoncello and other flavored aperitifs.
- Philadelphia Distilling, Northeast Philly: Vodka, gin, whiskey, absinthe.
- New Liberty Distillery, Kensington: Bourbon, rye, whiskey.
- Hewn Spirits, Pipersville: Rum, whiskey.
- Jersey Artisan Distilling, Fairfield: Rum.
- La Colombe Distillery, Fishtown, Rum.
- Manatawny Still Works, Pottstown, Vodka, rum whiskey.
- Rowhouse Spirits, Kensington: Irish moonshine, gin, herabal liqueuer.
- Cooper River Distillers, Camden: Rum.
- Dock Street Spirits, West Philly: Mezcal.
Originally published in the November, 2014 issue of Philadelphia magazine