SPOTLIGHT LISTING: Restored 1785 Townsend House
Here’s a chance to own a piece of Chester County history. The 1785 Townsend House was purchased from the Chester County Historical Society and carefully restored by the firm of Frens and Frens to preserve the home’s original architectural charms while updating it for modern living. The house once belonged to David Townsend, an amateur botanist and prominent 18th century figure in the region for whom the genus Townsendia is named. Preserved architectural details in the home include spectacular fireplaces with Valley Forge marble facing, built-in shelving and refinished hardwood floors, while modern upgrades like new gas heating, electric and central air make it comfortable year round. A family room with vaulted ceiling has also been added, providing acces to the slate patio, along with a breakfast room and gourmet kitchen. The home offers three floors of living space and beautiful grounds—not surprising given the homes original owner!
225 N. Matlack St., West Chester
Baths: 4 full, 2 half