So I recently stumbled across this picture somewhere in the wedding Interwebs, and knew immediately what I was looking at (which, if you think about it, is less impressive than it is scary that I know my Philly sweets so well): it’s a Federal Donuts wedding cake!
Well, “cake”—as you can see, it is a ton of donuts arranged nicely on a tiered dessert stand, and adorned with fresh flowers, as one might do to an actual wedding cake. So we called up Federal Donuts to see what the deal is, and happily found that this is an actual thing that they do—and that you can have them do for you. Here are the deets:
- You can have as many flavors as you like. They construct these cakes out of their “fancy” seasonal donuts, so think flavors like Cookies & Cream, Crumberry, Milk Chocolate Sea Salt, Pumpkin Spice Latte—and they also have three special event-only flavors you can mix in there: Vanilla Lavender, Dark Chocolate and Apollonia, a blend of cocoa, orange blossom, and anise. They recommend choosing your flavors two weeks before your wedding (you can come in and taste!) so you can see what’s current.
- They can provide the tiered stand (you just return it after your wedding), or if you have one you want to use instead, that’s fine.
- They will deliver the cake to your venue (anywhere within 50 miles of Center City) the day of your wedding and assemble the cake, including any flowers or decorative items you want to include in the arrangement. (Or you could ask your florist to do that after it’s set up.)
- You should order this at least two weeks in advance, but sooner is always better.
- The donuts cakes are priced at $2 per donut with a 100-donut minimum, and then $100 for the delivery and set-up. (They require a $100 non-refundable deposit when you place your order, and then that goes towards your total.)
The peeps at Federal Donuts have found that most couples who get these donut cakes are using them in place of any other type of wedding cake—though there’s no reason they wouldn’t work as part of a bigger dessert spread, or as little treats for your guests to take and bag up on the way out of your reception. (And you know we love Federal Donuts as part of a brunch box for your guests the morning after!)