We know that everyone and her mother—not to mention yours—are giving you their ideas of what you should zap with that little barcode gun. So here, from three Philly experts, their absolute must-haves when it comes to a basic registry checklist. Illustrations by Eleanor Grosch.
Expert: Pamela Diaconis, co-owner, Kellijane, Philadelphia.
- Master bedroom: duvet cover; coverlet; down-or silk-filled comforter; three sheet sets; pillows and extra pillowcases, bed skirt, decorative shams and inserts.
- Master bathroom: four shower towels; four to six hand towels and washcloths; shower curtain and bath mat; two bath rugs.
- Guests: at least one extra set each of sheets, pillows and towels, plus a comforter.
- Table: three sets of everyday place mats and napkins; one casual tablecloth with six to eight coordinating napkins; one formal tablecloth with eight to 12 coordinating napkins; six to eight kitchen towels.
- Extras: hand towels for powder rooms; throw blankets and decorative pillows for living room; picnic blanket.
Expert: Barry Terris, co-owner, Manor Home & Gifts, Philadelphia.
- Eight to 12 five-piece place settings, or 16 to 24 if you know you’ll be hosting family dinners.
- Eight to 12 (or 16 to 24) separate dessert plates (optional: with matching cups and saucers), so you don’t have to wash the salad plates to serve dessert.
- Multiple oval serving platters and vegetable bowls that mix or match with your pattern.
- Crystal: eight to 12 (or 16 to 24) water goblets and all-purpose wine goblets in a style coordinating with the formality of your chosen china; champagne flutes in any pattern.
- Extras: Mixed or matched charger plates and soup bowls for each place setting; an entire coffee-service set or just cream and sugar containers.
Expert: Amalia Duran-Wolff, registry coordinator, Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Hockessin.
- Eight to 12 five-piece place settings of everyday china and stainless flatware.
- Eight to 12 each water, old-fashioned and highball glasses; six to 12 beer mugs or pilsners; 12 to 18 all-purpose wineglasses.
- Knives: Four-inch pairing; eight-inch chef’s six-inch utility; eight- or 10-inch slicing; serrated bread; sharpener.
- One-and-a-half-, two- and three-quart saucepans; eight-, 10-, and 12-inch frying pans; three-quart sauté pan; eight- or 12-quart stockpot; eight-quart Dutch oven.
- Extras: Multiple serving bowls, platters and utensils.