The Inky reports on Councilman Jim Kenney’s proposal to decriminalize marijuana. “He said he was not advocating full legalization, but was taking his cue from District Attorney Seth Williams’ 2010 decision to handle possession cases involving amounts up to 30 grams – just over an ounce – as summary offenses. Rather, his bill would allow officers to issue a summons, similar to a traffic ticket, requiring people caught with a small amount of marijuana to appear in the special program.Kenney said the change would free up 17,000 police hours spent processing people arrested for pot possession.” Kenney, incidentally, might run for mayor in 2015.
- News: Can Philly Afford its Fight Against Gentrification?
- News: Council Takes on Marijuana, E-Cigarettes Next Week
- News: City Budget to Include More Demolition Inspectors
- News: WATCH: First TV Ad for Pot Airing in New Jersey
- News: Mayor Nutter Won’t Be Shouted Down in Council This Year
- News: Should This Guy Still Be in Prison?