The 5 Best Christie Quotes from the Bridgegate Press Conference
by Simon van Zuylen-Wood | January 9, 2014 2:03 pm
Chris Christie’s “Bridge-gate” press conference went long, which meant there were good quotes aplenty. First things first: He apologized for the scandal, fired a staff member, and decided not to promote his longtime campaign manager, both of whom were at the center of the lane-closing controversy. Now, some choice quotes.
- “Well, let me tell you, everybody, I was blindsided yesterday morning. I was done with my workout yesterday morning and got a call from my communications director at about 8:50, 8:55, informing me of this story that had just broken on the Bergen Record website. That was the first time I knew about this.”
- “The fact is that mistakes were made, and I’m responsible for those mistakes.”
- “I had no knowledge or involvement in this issue, in its planning or its execution, and I am stunned by the abject stupidity that was shown here.”
- “Oh, god, no. No.” (After a reporter asked him if he had considered resigning.)
- “Politics ain’t bean bag, OK? And everybody in the country who engages in politics knows that. On the other hand, that’s very, very different than saying that, you know, someone’s a bully.” (When a reporter asked him if he was a bully.)
Much, much more here from the governor.
- both of whom: http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/01/christie_fires_top_aide_linked_to_gwb_e-mails.html#incart_maj-story-1
- lane-closing controversy: http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/01/08/lane-closing-controversy-threatens-ensnare-chris-christies-administration/
- here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/transcript-chris-christies-news-conference-on-george-washington-bridge-scandal/2014/01/09/d0f4711c-7944-11e3-8963-b4b654bcc9b2_story.html
Source URL: http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/01/09/5-best-christie-quotes-bridgegate-press-conference/
Copyright ©2017 Philadelphia Magazine unless otherwise noted.