Dog Saves Blind Owner From House Fire

Blaze happened in Southwest Philly.

CBS 3 reports that Luther Johnson, who has been blind for 30 years, was saved by his guide dog, Yates, from a house fire Monday night in Southwest Philadelphia.

“When I woke up I could hear him jumping and prancing, so I thought maybe it was him that was nudging me on my right shoulder,” Luther said.

Luther could smell the smoke and feel the heat of the fire. He knew he had to get out fast. He was able to grab his cell phone, coat and shoes and make out the front door with Yates leading the way, just as the fire department was arriving.

“Angels are God’s messengers and workers. So He sent them, he sent an angel, and I guess the angel was through my dog Yates,” Luther said.

Johnson and Yates are staying Red Cross housing for the moment.

Around the Web

Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.