Herbie and Cathy Schaible, who have now had two of their own children die on their watches, have pled no contest (guilty) to a charge of third-degree murder in the death of their 8-month-old Brandon. When their first child died, in 2009, they received 10 years probation. Last April, Brandon became very ill and needed medical attention, but they refused to give it to him, praying instead. They’ll be sentenced in February; the no contest plea will give them time to explain their beliefs to the judge. For the full story on the Schaibles and the First Century Gospel Church in Rhawnhurst, see Bob Huber’s feature from Philly Mag’s November issue. [NBC]
- News: Accused Carjacker Occupation on Facebook: “Former Contract Killer”
- News: Carjacking Suspects Charged With Rape and Murder
- News: “Hundreds” of U-Delaware Women Recorded in Bathrooms
- News: UPDATE: Carjack Suspect “Atoning” for Fatalities
- News: Smerconish’s Death Penalty Lament
- Articles: The Fall of the Main Line Drug Ring
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.