Herbie and Cathy Schaible, who have now had two of their own children die on their watches, have pled no contest (guilty) to a charge of third-degree murder in the death of their 8-month-old Brandon. When their first child died, in 2009, they received 10 years probation. Last April, Brandon became very ill and needed medical attention, but they refused to give it to him, praying instead. They’ll be sentenced in February; the no contest plea will give them time to explain their beliefs to the judge. For the full story on the Schaibles and the First Century Gospel Church in Rhawnhurst, see Bob Huber’s feature from Philly Mag’s November issue. [NBC]
- News: Child, 3, Hit by Stray Bullet in South Philly
- News: Man Abducted by Masked Men, Found Beaten Miles Away
- News: Someone Stole Froggy Carr’s Costumes
- News: Stolen Viola Smashed to Pieces in West Philly
- News: Sex Video with Minors Being Passed Around at Middle School
- News: Coroner: Bradley Stone Didn’t Die of Self-Inflicted Stab Wound
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.