Bucks Co. High School Paper Disavows “Redskin” Team Name

What, does *everybody* hate racist mascots?

Screen shot 2013-10-24 at 3.00.35 PM

Criticizing the Washington Redskins for their racially insensitive team name has become a cause celebre lately. The president’s jumped on the bandwagon, and several well-respected DC-based publications are refusing to print the name altogether. Neshaminy’s high school newspaper has adopted the cause too, with respect to its own mascot.

Whether it’s the most basic dictionary definitions , the opinions of many Native Americans, or a more in-depth look at the word’s origins, the evidence suggesting that ‘Redskin’ is a term of honor is severely outweighed by the evidence suggesting that it is a term of hate. It is for these reasons that The Playwickian editorial board has decided it will no longer use the word ‘Redskin,’ or any derivative such as “‘Skins” within its pages in reference to the students or sports teams of Neshaminy High School.

Meanwhile, the Neshaminy School Board has asked the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission to drop a complaint about the team name made by a high schooler’s parent who claims Native American ancestry.

H/t Newsworks

Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.

• PAUL LEWIS

I am outraged. I don’t believe the term redskin is abusive or hateful. However, in these times, I guess changing the name is unfortunately the “PC” thing to do.

I surely hope that the Playwickian editorial board will not now carry this any further and change the name of the high school newspaper since the name Playwickian is also a native Indian name. The name “Playwickian” comes from one of the names of the Native American tribes who called the area on the Neshaminy Creek home (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neshaminy_High_School). Be careful what you wish for!