Forget the narrative of Philly as a blue-collar city, appreciative of little more than effort, cheap booze and chip-on-our-shoulder emotional displays. Turns out, at least according to Travel + Leisure, that we’re just a bunch of snobs—thanks, in large part, to our city’s … sports fans? Apparently, the cheese whiz, foam fingers, and face paint all add up to one thing: pure, unadulterated “haughtiness” (their word). Evidently all that sports ire translates nationally to a kind of sophistication not known to many other US cities, with T+L listing us 14th on their “America’s Snobbiest Cities” list—a tie with Kansas City. Pinkies up when you sip that Yeungling, we’re fancy now. [Philly.com]
- News: Report: Philly Has Highest Overdraft Fees in America
- News: The 16 Best Phillies GIFs of 2014
- News: Ex-Phillie Mitch Williams Suing Deadspin, MLB Network
- Articles: Terrell Owens: 10 Years After the Eagles
- News: Flyers Fans Booed the Ice Guys Against Last Night
- News: Phillies Will Finish Last For First Time Since 2000
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.