Forget the narrative of Philly as a blue-collar city, appreciative of little more than effort, cheap booze and chip-on-our-shoulder emotional displays. Turns out, at least according to Travel + Leisure, that we’re just a bunch of snobs—thanks, in large part, to our city’s … sports fans? Apparently, the cheese whiz, foam fingers, and face paint all add up to one thing: pure, unadulterated “haughtiness” (their word). Evidently all that sports ire translates nationally to a kind of sophistication not known to many other US cities, with T+L listing us 14th on their “America’s Snobbiest Cities” list—a tie with Kansas City. Pinkies up when you sip that Yeungling, we’re fancy now. [Philly.com]
- Property: Gallery: Claude Giroux’s New Rittenhouse Digs. We Think.
- News: Ryan Howard’s Run With the Phillies Might Soon Be Over
- News: Olbermann Names Cliff Lee the “Worst Person in the World”
- Property: The Top 5 Things Smart Philly Residents Care About
- News: The Big List of the Worst Philly Lists of 2014
- News: Hey Philly, You’ll Never Guess Who Made the “Unhappiest Cities” List
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.