Forget the narrative of Philly as a blue-collar city, appreciative of little more than effort, cheap booze and chip-on-our-shoulder emotional displays. Turns out, at least according to Travel + Leisure, that we’re just a bunch of snobs—thanks, in large part, to our city’s … sports fans? Apparently, the cheese whiz, foam fingers, and face paint all add up to one thing: pure, unadulterated “haughtiness” (their word). Evidently all that sports ire translates nationally to a kind of sophistication not known to many other US cities, with T+L listing us 14th on their “America’s Snobbiest Cities” list—a tie with Kansas City. Pinkies up when you sip that Yeungling, we’re fancy now. [Philly.com]
- News: Jonathan Papelbon Suspended for Grabbing Crotch
- News: Jonathan Papelbon Ejected After Grabbing Crotch
- News: Moving Company: More People Moving to Philly Than Out
- News: Phillies Give Up Embarrassing Inside-the-Parker
- News: Amaro: Fans Only Care About Wins and Losses
- News: Rollins Injured in Phillies Loss
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.