So much for gun control being a political third rail. At least in Pennsylvania, where we cling to our guns, Senator Pat Toomey’s recent, failed, efforts to strengthen criminal background checks have boosted his popularity to an all-time high. According to a Quinnipiac Poll released today, his approval rating stands at 48%-30%, and 54% of voters think more favorably of Toomey for the gun bill, versus 12% who like him less. The question that remains now is whether Toomey continues to hew to a more moderate path (he recently changed his mind on the Violence Against Women Act), or uses his new political cover to quell conservative fears that he’s gone soft.
- News: Proclamation Naming Official State Gun Riddled With Errors
- News: It Happened: A Good Guy With a Gun Stopped a Bad Guy With a Gun
- News: City Pays $1.4 Million for Gun Permit Info Dump
- News: Philly Pays $1.4M for Posting Gun Permit Appeal Data Online
- News: No, an Uzi Was Not Found In a Philly School
- News: Christie Vetoes Gun Legislation
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.