Ed Rendell, in his book A Nation of Wusses, calls out politicians for their cowardice on gun control. Today, he reprises the act in a Daily News column (“Listen, wusses: It’s time for new gun laws”) that reiterates what he told the Patriot-News last month: 1. Ban possession of assault weapons (including the kind used at Sandy Hook, which wouldn’t have been covered by the ban that expired in ’04); 2. Ditto for high-capacity magazines; 3. Close the gun-show loophole; 4. Ban internet gun sales; 5. Mandate better mental health reporting. What’s different now is that Rendell is asking U.S. Representatives Charlie Dent, Pat Meehan, Jim Gerlach, and Mike Fitzpatrick, along with Sen. Pat Toomey (all Republicans who haven’t commented on such proposed changes) to write in to the Daily News to yea or nay his plan. “We the people have the right to know your answer now,” he wrote. [Daily News]
- News: Report of Student with Gun at Fels H.S. Sparks Lockdown
- News: Cowboys Fan Chris Christie Watches Game with Jerry Jones
- News: Rendell: Christie’s a “Wuss” For Cowboys Fandom
- News: AG Kane Won’t Defend Pa. Gun Law That Allows NRA Suits
- News: Ed Rendell Is OK with NFL Game Being Moved
- News: Is Ed Rendell in Ken Trujillo’s Corner?
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.