Ed Rendell, in his book A Nation of Wusses, calls out politicians for their cowardice on gun control. Today, he reprises the act in a Daily News column (“Listen, wusses: It’s time for new gun laws”) that reiterates what he told the Patriot-News last month: 1. Ban possession of assault weapons (including the kind used at Sandy Hook, which wouldn’t have been covered by the ban that expired in ’04); 2. Ditto for high-capacity magazines; 3. Close the gun-show loophole; 4. Ban internet gun sales; 5. Mandate better mental health reporting. What’s different now is that Rendell is asking U.S. Representatives Charlie Dent, Pat Meehan, Jim Gerlach, and Mike Fitzpatrick, along with Sen. Pat Toomey (all Republicans who haven’t commented on such proposed changes) to write in to the Daily News to yea or nay his plan. “We the people have the right to know your answer now,” he wrote. [Daily News]
- Articles: Chris Matthews and Ed Rendell Talk (and Talk) Politics
- News: House Passes Gun Bill; Corbett Expected to Sign
- News: Ed Rendell Returns to the Campaign Trail
- News: Anti-Mumia, Pro-Gun Bills Pass in Harrisburg
- News: Gun Debate About to Flare Up in Pennsylvania Senate
- News: The NRA Wants Your Submission
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.