In the hours since NRA VP Wayne LaPierre unleashed a looong tirade against his critics this morning (in the form of statement on the Newtown shooting), Ed Rendell and Michael Nutter have both weighed in. Nutter called LaPierre’s suggestion to stock schools with more guns and police officers “insane” and “ludicrous.” Rendell, true to form, went with “whacked” and “nuts.” They’ve got their own ways of saying it, but they both agree that the proposal is out there. Rendell, always happy to inject national politics into the conversation, told MSNBC, “Look, the Republicans have a very difficult choice: break with the NRA or again, have every suburban-American who looks at this say, ‘These guys are nuts.'” [Politico]
- News: House Passes Gun Bill; Corbett Expected to Sign
- News: Meet Mike Whiter, Recipient of Philly’s First Pot Citation
- News: Ed Rendell Returns to the Campaign Trail
- News: Mayor Tries to Calm Nerves About Ebola
- The Scene: Philadelphia History Museum City Social
- News: Anti-Mumia, Pro-Gun Bills Pass in Harrisburg
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.