In the ecclesiastical equivalent of your mom joining Facebook, Pope Benedict XVI has joined Twitter—and, as of this writing, wracked up more than 100,000 followers before he sends a single, blessed 140-character message out into the world. (To be fair: 98,000 of those followers are probably porn spam. Also to be fair: I’m going to hell for making that joke.) We’re still waiting to see how the pontiff will use his newfound social media powers. Will he Instagram communion? Will he check in on Foursquare and become the “mayor” of the Vatican? Does he have any jokes to make about Nate Silver? Or is the Pope not a hipster? We’ll finally find out. [The Daily Mail]
- News: 10 Men You Should Unfollow on Twitter
- News: WATCH: Philly Students Challenge LeBron to Dunk Contest Against Teacher
- News: Shuttered Parish Takes Appeal to Vatican
- News: Flyers Goalie Keeps Posting Shirtless Selfies With His Dog
- News: Former Teacher Can’t Sue for Nasty Blog Posts
- News: VIDEO: Woman Hit, Robbed While Departing Trolley
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.