Anyone on Facebook right now is familiar with the thankful meme: where every day in November, someone posts an update saying something that they are thankful for. Maybe you are doing it. Most likely, 15 of your friends are. I previously refused to join in. Until now. So, here are the 22 things (one for each day of November, so far), I’m most thankful for this month.
1. The Texas movie theater chain, Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, who proudly kicks out anyone who talks/texts during a movie (and featured a real, complaint voicemail in an ad last year). Let’s hope this trend comes to Philly.
2. I take solace in knowing that as the political ads came to end, so too will the Kay Jewelers’ ads and Jane Seymour’s Open Hearts holy reign of terror. February 15th, get here faster.
3. Robert Pattinson talking about the inspiration for the suit he wore to the Breaking Dawn – Part 2 premiere: “I had a dream about an emerald green houndstooth suit, so I got one made.” Celebrities are just like us.
4. After years of talking about The Wire, the most insufferable people of the world finally (finally!) have a new show, Homeland, to talk about incessantly.
5. My (unfulfilled) wish that tiny Stonehenge would fly in during Justin Bieber’s performance on The American Music Awards.
6. Daniel Day-Lewis’ performance in Lincoln.
7. Les Miserables opens on December 25, bringing an end to the commercials and the incessant loop of “I Dreamed a Dream” playing in my head
8. Parks and Recreation: the smartest, sweetest, funniest comedy on TV. Period.
9. The online petition to deport people who sign a secession petition.
10. Every scene with Alan Arkin and John Goodman in Argo.
12. Megan Kelly’s “That’s awkward” after Karl Rove questioned Fox News’ calling Ohio—and essentially the election—for Obama.
13. The hilarious New York Times’ take-down of Guy Fieri’s Times Square restaurant, Guy’s American Kitchen and Bar. My favorite quote: “Why did the toasted marshmallow taste like fish?”
14. The gif of Obama Single Lady. On a pizza. With fireworks.
15. The stunning cinematography and imagery of Life of Pi.
16. In a year, the Gangman Style will be relegated to a dance your Uncle Frank does at weddings to show he’s “down with that.”
17. My favorite comedy block on Tuesday night: 8:30 p.m., Fox’s new, charming Ben and Kate; and 8:30pm, ABC’s Happy Endings (“He’s Misery-ing me!”)
18. The impossibly catchy, dementedly animated public service announcement “Dumb Ways to Die” from Metro Trains Melbourne.
19. My friends and family (even those who blocked or unfriended each other on Facebook after the election).
20. The tens of you who read this entire list.
21. We have a full year before the next iteration of Facebook’s thankful meme.