Signaling an important final step towards creating the overfed, underworked dystopia so memorably depicted in Wall-E, Shop 24 today is opening up two new “robotic convenience stores” around Philadelphia—one in Hatfield, to the north; and the other at 3900 Gateway Drive in south Philadelphia. The shops are “self-contained, refrigerated and robotic,” measuring in at nine feet tall: Essentially, these are really huge vending machines. (See the vdieo below.) Only these vending machines will achieve sentience and learn to love kittens will eventually destroying all of humanity. [Shop 24]
- News: WATCH: Can’t a Hawk Just Eat His Breakfast in Peace?
- News: Why Do We Adore the Word Philadelphia?
- News: Mummer, Daughter Accused of Attacking Homeless Man
- News: Who Says Halloween Is Just for Kids (and People With Kids)?
- News: This Week’s Outrage Meter
- News: Activists: Immigration Enforcement Shifting to Philly Suburbs
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.