Lincoln University football player Maurice Bertrand will take the field for his school this weekend—more than a year after he was wounded in a shooting in Camden. The attack shattered his femur, in addition to wounding him in the back and ankle. “He went from walking on a cane to walking without a cane to jogging to sprinting to being able to do a squat,” said coach O.J. Abanishe. “So you saw how it kind of went step by step by step by step by step. And each step might have seemed small to us, but it was huge to him and led all the way back to this season.” Bertrand returns to action for Lincoln in its homecoming game against Bowie State. [NewsWorks]
- News: Last Night, I Wanted to Bash the Gay-Bashers
- News: Report: Suspects in Gay Bashing Will Meet Police Today
- G Philly: Does This Photo Show Suspects in Gay Beating Dining at La Viola?
- G Philly: $10K Offered for Info on Center City Hate Crime
- G Philly: Police Release Video of Suspects in Attack of Two Gay Men
- News: Police Release Mugshot of Suspect in Pregnant Woman’s Death
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.