Listen, we know that Joe Paterno—and the Paterno family generally—left a legacy broader than the Jerry Sandusky molestation scandal that ended his career at Penn State. Likewise, we know that the Catholic Church in Pennsylvania does a lot of good things for people, and that the ongoing sex abuse trials in Philadelphia don’t represent the entirety of two millennia of faith. But still, we can’t help but wonder if now is not the right time for this weekend’s dedication of the Suzanne Pohland Paterno Catholic Student Faith Center in State College. Maybe it’s not fair, but mixing the “Paterno” and “Catholic” brands right now might stir up too many memories for people whose feelings are still raw. It’s going to happen, though, so let’s hope that Penn State students find the spiritual solace they seek at the new center. [Collegian Online]
- News: Pope Francis Just Provided Us With the Most Awesome Road House Fan Fiction Scenario, Ever
- News: Obama’s Big Vatican Insult!
- News: Buzz Bissinger Apparently A Penn State Fan Now
- News: Sandusky “Victim Number 9″ Sues Penn State
- News: Archbishop Chaput Wants Everybody to Know He’s Cool With Pope Francis
- News: Vatican Orders Survey of Catholic Attitudes on Marriage, Other Hot-Button Issues