Surprise, Wet Seal’s hiring practices might be just a tad bit racist. Nicole Cogdell, a former manager of the King of Prussia Wet Seal store, was relieved of her highly fashionable duty just four days after a visit to the store from former company vice president Barbara Bachman. At the time of her visit, Bachman allegedly complained that she “wanted someone with blonde hair and blue eyes,” and she eventually replaced Cogdell with a white woman who had poor job performance records and less experience and paid her more for it. Coincidentally (or not), the company’s been losing money consistently, showing a $12.4 million loss in the second quarter overall. Multiple plaintiffs are currently seeking a class-action lawsuit status for their ongoing case. [Jezebel]
- News: $50K Wrong-Sperm Suit Is About the Burden of Blackness
- Shoppist: Ted Baker Is Having a Huge One-Day Sale Tomorrow
- News: Remembering the Great Charles Bowser on His 84th Birthday
- News: Confession: I’m Black, and I Used to Be Afraid to Walk Around Fishtown
- News: Ban the “Redskins”
- News: Nat Turner: Murderer or Visionary?
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.