Councilman Jim Kenney wants to set up a program through which non-violent offenders can volunteer for positions earning about $10/hour that will have them vetted and allow them out into the community to clean up city streets. He says that the program cost could be offset by city money or funding from foundations and that it would help demonstrate to felons that they’d get paid for a day’s worth of honest work. He also thinks it would help them feel welcomed back into the community. [Newsworks]
- Ticket: WATCH: Andy Cohen Loved Jim Kenney’s Chris Christie “Fat Ass” Comment
- News: Jim Kenney’s Mean Girl 101
- News: Kenney: No Regrets Over Christie Insult
- News: WATCH: Can’t a Hawk Just Eat His Breakfast in Peace?
- News: Franny Rizzo Not Running for Mayor
- News: Why Do We Adore the Word Philadelphia?
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.