Wayne Simmonds—one of the new Flyers acquired in this summer’s philosophical realignment made news last week when—during a shootout against the Red Wings—a fan hurled a banana peel onto the ice in what was interpreted as a racially motivated gesture. Now, Simmonds is again in the news, but is this time accused of being on the other side of the discrimination fence. Simmonds is said to have used a homophobic slur during the preseason game with the Rangers last night after known instigator Sean Avery “sucker punched” him. GLAAD is demanding that he be disciplined for his actions and the NHL might agree as they’re set to meet with Simmonds this afternoon to discuss the incident. [FOX 29]
- News: WATCH: Implosion of Germantown High-Rise
- News: High School Editors Will Be Honored by ACLU
- News: Ursinus College President Is Dead
- News: Juniata College’s Ancient Book is (Sadly) Not Made of Human Skin
- News: NCAA: UConn Coach Broke Rules With Mo’ne Davis Call
- News: Up to 190 Years for Counterfeit Sports Jerseys
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.