Wayne Simmonds—one of the new Flyers acquired in this summer’s philosophical realignment made news last week when—during a shootout against the Red Wings—a fan hurled a banana peel onto the ice in what was interpreted as a racially motivated gesture. Now, Simmonds is again in the news, but is this time accused of being on the other side of the discrimination fence. Simmonds is said to have used a homophobic slur during the preseason game with the Rangers last night after known instigator Sean Avery “sucker punched” him. GLAAD is demanding that he be disciplined for his actions and the NHL might agree as they’re set to meet with Simmonds this afternoon to discuss the incident. [FOX 29]
- News: Woman Killed After Hit by Three Vehicles
- News: The Best Social Media Pics From the Taney Dragons Parade
- News: Will Penn State Keep Player Names on Football Jerseys?
- News: Where Is the Outrage Over James Foley’s Killing?
- News: Jersey Lawmakers Support Increased Safety for Rail Cars Carrying Oil
- News: Ferguson and America’s Never-Healing Race Wound
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.