There’s a new monthly dance party and its name is . Led by Philly favorite , this happy hour shindig is breaking the mold and bringing dance to daytime, along with burlesque, vendors, and local artists and performers. But wait, that’s not all. In addition to being a dance party, Icon’s Werkshop also doubles as a fundraiser, specifically for the .
Ebony-Fierce had this to say about Werkshop: “I wanted to do a midday event for people who work at night, [people who are] tired of late night drag/burlesque shows, or even people who want to day-drink on a summer day to pre-game for Saturday night.”
Icon’s Werkshop will be every fourth Saturday, and—like her monthly Freak Boutique party—will always be donation based. Attendees are asked to tip the performers, support the bar, and buy (and enjoy) the $2 . Performers at Saturday’s Werkshop launch include Aloe Vera, Gemini Rose, Madonna Black, and more, with music by DJ Aura. The cost for entry ranges between $3 and $10, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds. This Saturday the word is Werk, and the place to be is Tabu. Saturday, June 28, 4:00 p.m.-8:30 p.m., $3-$10, Tabu Lounge & Sports Bar, 200 South 12th Street.
- Are you between the age of 13 and 24? If so, a FREE HIV test will get you tickets to see Grammy-nominated hip-hop artist .
- Hear readings from some of the city’s best at Wooden Shoe Books and Records.
- Discuss, listen, and share at the reading event for “” at Mostly Books Philly.
- Want to kick off your weekend with a dance party? Head to Voyeur for Factory Girls with special guest DJ Uniqu3.
- Check out at Venture Inn.
is a new monthly happy hour dance party that’ll be taking over Tabu .… during the day!
- See what’s behind the beards at boylesque favorite
- Join Philadelphia Fight for its . Enjoy delicious food, dancing, karaoke, a health fair, and more.
- Get on board: Philly Dyke March is taking a group of locals to the Big Apple for the 22nd Annual NYC Dyke March.
- It’s the Pride edition of new Latino/a dance party Candela Sabados.
- It’s all about the Electric Light Orchestra at this month’s Disco ’76 at Venture Inn.
- Comedy and cabaret come together in at the Prince Music Theater.
- It’s time to party. .
- Can I get an amen?! Lift your spirit and get your praise on at featuring Earnest Pugh.
- tells the story of Beth and Tim, a white woman and black man who team up to expose the racism in American theater. Expect scandal and satire from the hand of Philly playwright Warren Hoffman.
- Brittany Lynn heads back to Scores in Atlantic City for her weekly all-male burlesque show—this time with special guests Mary D’Knight and Omyra Lynn.
- Scream: DJ Sara Sherr hosts Michael/Janet Jackson/Jackson 5 karaoke at Bob and Barbara’s. Get inspired with this roundup of Michael’s 10 most iconic live performances.