Marriage equality firebrand — and Temple alum — Edie Windsor will visit her alma mater this weekend in a special program entitled “Love Conquers the Law: One Woman’s Voice Silences DOMA.” Windsor, who was the plaintiff in the case that both reached the Supreme Court, and took down the Defense of Marriage Act (!), will be interviewed by Philly out attorney Angela Giampolo, and then stick around for a screening of the touching documentary Edie & Thea: A Very Long Engagement.
The film chronicles her engagement and marriage to Dr. Thea Spyer, and the eventual tragic circumstances that inspired her DOMA-fighting journey. Her visit to Philadelphia is definitely not an event to be missed, as this is a woman who changed the course of history in the United States, and the woman who landed the runner-up position in the 2013 Time Person of the Year rankings. Saturday, April 26, 2:00-4:00 p.m., $12 (free for Temple Students with their student ID), Temple Performing Arts Center
- Seven queens from the current season of RuPaul's Drag Race throw a cast party at Voyeur.
- VH1’s Sassy will be hosting the Welcome to Pride party at The Let Out.
- Sandy Beach hosts "La Cage a Beach: Once upon a Time," featuring Fanci Dismount, Aida Snatchwell, Ariel Versace, and Icon Ebony Fierce.
- Kick off the weekend with Black Gay Pride.
- Get a taste of the stellar culinary side of East Passyunk Avenue at the annual Flavors of the Avenue tour.
- Hit up Mind Body + Soul for the health and resource fair, and stay for the vendors, healthy snacks, and raffles.
- Don’t miss Philly Gay Black Pride’s speed dating event Single in the City.
- Is there anything more exciting than a Gay Scavenger Hunt?
- Tabu gets a Latin makeover with Candela Sabados.
- Philly Gay Black Pride’s late night fashion show is Phlawless.
- Head to Venture Inn for a '70s disco party. Starts at 10 p.m.
- It's Liberty City Kings Drag and Burlesque's turn to take over drag brunch at Tabu. Come get your glitter and grits, y'all.
- Don't like glitter on your pancakes? Get your brunch on at Venture Inn from noon to 4 p.m. with drag queens Mable Redtop, Sandy Beach, Salotta Tee, and Ginger Breadman.
- Celebrate our women of color at the fourth annual Lesbian Women of Color Family Day.
- Turn up for The Finale night of Philly Gay Black Pride.
- Philly party producer Bruce Yelk celebrates his birthday with DJ Kidd Madonny.
- Metro Men’s Clothing will be giving out complimentary cocktails, light food — AND 15 percent off the entire store — during April QOTA.
- Brittany Lynn hosts Laughing For Life at the Adrienne Theater.