WEEKEND ROUNDUP: MMP! BBG! KKR! Boat Party
Bootycandy continues its high-energy, candy-coated run at The Wilma Theater all weekend long, starting tonight. The stage show promises a tongue-in-cheek, rumpus rendition of life as a gay African-American, starting with a behind-the-pulpit, over-the-top church sermon meant to set the stage for the rest of the show. Check back next week for a full review. (Side note: Has anyone else noticed the “In your 20s” discount The Wilma Theater is offering? Rejoice, Millennials.) 8 p.m., $23-$46, The Wilma Theater, 265 S. Broad St.
ALSO HAPPENING FRIDAY:
- A Scribe Café screening of Pariah, a film about dealing with the lesbian identity, nabbing a girlfriend, you know … the usual.
- “Claudia: Werk Bitch!” just might be Atlantic City’s hottest Friday-night kick-off to Memorial Day Weekend, as it doubly serves as the grand opening of Rainbow Room AC.
- The Liberty Bell Classic embarks on its three-day LGBT soccer tourney. And if you’re not that into soccer (but you’re still into the soccer men), there’s always the LBC block party and mix-and-mingle BBQ event, too.
(Photo: Idalie Adams)
C’mon, you know you’re looking for an excuse to hit up Rehoboth this weekend. Ladies 2000 and Viki Dee promise to “rock” Reho at Rehoboth Beach Convention Center this Saturday for the small price of $15. And really, what’s a measly $15 admittance cover, when it actually covers a lifetime’s worth of memories of drunken decisions in a crowd full of summer-garbed lesbians? Exactly. 6 p.m.-11 p.m., $15, Rehoboth Beach Convention Center, 229 Rehoboth Ave.
ALSO HAPPENING SATURDAY:
- All of you SoPhilly, dollar-PBR-drinking hipster gays, this one’s for you: “Word Up!” at The Dive.
- Watch a bunch of bears dance around in skimpy outfits for two hours courtesy of “Bearlesque.”
- Watch a bunch of twinks vogue down the runway in skimpy outfits instead, courtesy of The Attic Youth Center.
- Silk City promises a gyrate-those-hips and sway-those-shoulders kind of dance party with “Anything You Can Shake Your Hips To!”
- “Bearlesque” isn’t the only burlesque show in town: It’s curtains for Bravissimo Burlesque, as it performs its last-ever show when WineO closes its doors Saturday.
This one you need no excuse for. Moshulu is all waxed-up and ready to host a motley crew of tipsy gay men this Sunday night at the MMP! BBG! KKR! (allow me to translate: Michael, Madonna, Prince; Britney, Beyoncé, Gaga; Katy Ke$ha Rihanna) boat party. Be on the lookout for wristbands: They’ll score you a $10 discount to the Voyeur after-party. Bottoms up, boys! 9 p.m.-2 a.m., $10, 401 S. Columbus Blvd.
ALSO HAPPENING SUNDAY:
- Since you’ll likely be broke by Sunday, check out this free roller derby workshop (and warehouse barbecue!) hosted by Penn Jersey Roller Derby.
- See the premiere of HBO’s Behind the Candelabra, the story of Liberace’s tumultuous love affair with his chauffeur.