Destination Dogs, the New Brunswick, New Jersey restaurant specializing in cocktails, arcade games and bizarre hot dogs has finally made it to Philly. Here’s what we discovered on our first visit:
- There is a way to make a gin and tonic better–with cucumber, mint and lime. Order the Cucumber Gimlet (LHR) London, England ($9).
- It is possible to capture the essence of a geographical location with a hot dog. For example, the Rocky Bal-Boar-A: Philadelphia (PHL) ($10.25), which features italian wild boar sausage, steak, onions, peppers, cheese sauce and cherry pepper relish.
- When the bun is made of bread resembling brioche, you almost don’t care what the meat is.
- Which is good, because here the meat might be duck (Charles Dog Gaulle: France (CDG)) ($12.50), kangaroo (The Underdog: Australia (SYD)) ($14) or python (One Bite in Bangkok: Thailand (BKK)) ($14).
- But it doesn’t matter, because python happens to be delicious.
Destination Dogs is now open daily from 11:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. at 1113 Walnut Street.
Destination Dogs [Foobooz]