To help your summer along, Foobooz plans to give you some recipes by notable chefs and bartenders in Philadelphia. We’re calling it the DIY Down the Shore series, and we’ll be posting them all week. We’re bringing Philly’s dining scene into your summer homes.
Keep the coals hot, because this summer spent seaside is made for grilling. Chef Eli Collins, exec at Pub & Kitchen, says it best, “I think cooking at the Shore should be simple, centered around outdoor cooking and celebrating summer produce.”
We couldn’t agree more and the recipe chef Collins has chosen to share is precisely that. A chili rubbed skirt steak with cherry tomato vinaigrette that sounds exactly like what you should be cooking this weekend.
Chili Rubbed Skirt Steak with Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette
3 pc guajillo chile toasted
1 pc chile de Arbol
2 tbsp black pepper ground
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
4 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp turbinado sugar
- In a spice grinder, grind the guajillo and chili de Arbol. Mix with the other spices.
Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette
3 shallots, finely minced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
3 cup of heirloom cherry tomato cut in half
Muscat vinegar, sherry vinegar will do
1 cup parsley finely cut
Note: I would cook this using a small pot with straight sides right on the grill.
- Coat button of pot with olive oil add shallots and garlic. Sweat for only about a minute then cover with the tomatos.
- Stir the tomato gently, so as to mix the shallots and garlic off the bottom of the pot, but do not break up the tomato too much.
- When the tomatoes just to start to break and release their juices, then add the vinegar to taste.
- Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and more olive oil.
- Coat the steaks with the chili rub and let sit for about half an hour.
- Grill on high heat until desired doneness.
- Let rest for ten minutes. Slice against the grain and top with the vinaigrette.
- Garnish with some fresh basil, coarse sea salt (Maldon) and olive oil.
Pub & Kitchen [official]
DIY Down The Shore [f8b8z]