In the early morning of February 22nd, the studio/practice space of Jay Laughlin, Brian Wilkinson, and Pete Girgenti’s band, JJL, burned to the ground and the fire spared nothing. Everything was lost, including three guitars, a ’75 Les Paul Custom, an American Fender Strat, an American Deluxe Precision bass, three drum sets, multiple guitar/bass amps, and a huge effects pedal collection. The list goes on, and the tragedy has left them unable to play music like they used to.
South Philadelphia has come to the rescue.
Join the folks at Fountain Porter, right off East Passyunk Ave., on Monday, March 31st at 4:00 p.m., where $20 at the door will get you two beers supplied by Philadelphia Brewing Company (PBC), and a sandwich of your choice: Fountain Porter is of course offering their famous backyard burger, and Joncarl Lachman of Noord is offering bitterballen burgers and pickled herring sandwiches. Two DJs, a PBC sales rep, and Jay's older brother, will spin through the night, and at 8 pm sharp, a raffle will be called: $5 will get you a ticket. $20 will get you five, and the old-school fishbowl drawing will include prizes that are worth every penny:
- A print from Rob Linsalata, Creative Director of Agency M
- Colleen at Black & Brew has donated a $20 gift card
- Dinner for two at Mary Ann and Dan Ferrie’s wonderful BYOB Chloe
- $100 from Lily Cope at COOK
- Make-up artist Elizabeth Terenchin will make you even more beautiful with a free session
- Dinner for two at Fond
- An original piece by landscape architect Mathew Davis
- Tastemaker Tom Longo Jr. at Metro Men’s has donated two $50 gift cards
- A print by Noord’s one-and-only Bob Moysan
- Seamstress Nicole Rae Styer (N.R.S.) sweetens the pot with a one-of-a-kind piece
- Paradiso will host two for dinner
- A certificate for acupuncture at South Philadelphia Community Acupuncture
- Chef Sam Jacobson of Southwark is donating his time and talent to whip up a Sunday brunch in your home for up to 6. He’ll bring the food, you provide the booze.
- Cigars from Anthony at Philly’s oldest cigar shop: Twin Smoke Shoppe
- Oasis of greenery amongst the grit, Urban Jungle, has donated $50 to get your spring planting started.
- Laura Burkhardt (Where magazine) is giving gift cards to Ocean Prime and Waterworks
- Entry for 4 to the Dolphin on any night you please
Fountain Porter will be donating all proceeds from any PBC purchase through the end of the night, and the rest of your money will go directly to the band.
JJL Benefit [Facebook]